Chapter 26

Athena

I stood by his bedside and stared at him, wide-eyed.

I didn't know what to do.

As it turns out, Owen didn't get up to actually sit down. He just rolled onto the other side of the bed.

I breathed a sigh of relief and tiptoed closer to him to check if he was awake or not. He wasn't.

I was starting to feel a bit hot so I took my school blazer off and hung it over the nearest thing I could hang something on: his wheelchair. I later sat down slowly on the free space by his side, and I found myself at loss.

What the hell should I do?

I don't have a single clue what others are supposed to do for people with fevers. My aunt was usually the one who does stuff for me when I'm sick but now, it's different. I would be the Aunt Lydia to his Athena today.

I ransacked my brain for anything that my aunt does when I have a fever, and all I could remember are meds, food, and sleep; but who the hell was I kidding? I can barely take care of myself now, and I'm not even sick.

I stared at Owen again and immediately felt that familiar wave of guilt again. Damn, I really need to do something.

I could hand him some medicine but I wasn't sure what he was taking, what time he last took something, and if he was even taking it.

But then, I could slap him awake and force him to haul his ass up and tell him to eat or drink something, or I could tell him to change his clothes because who knows, he must've been sweating already under the covers.

I knew not a single one of those is actually realistic, knowing me and Owen, so I really was clueless.

Owen was now mumbling in his sleep. I raised a brow and peered over his body to check if he was awake. I could see his face now.

The guy had an uncomfortable expression painted all over his face, with his dark brows furrowed and his lips chapped.

"Owen, what will I do to have you stop being sick? I didn't allow that. The universe doesn't allow that, either. You don't have permission to have a fever that bad under my watch." I blindly told Owen as I slowly took down a portion of his blanket and rolled up his sweater.

Hesitantly, I placed the back of my hand on his arm and touched him. His arm was insanely hot.

I didn't want to panic, and I wanted to make sure. So, with much thinking, I slowly pushed his dark hair away from his face and touched his forehead. I didn't think it was possible, but it was even hotter than his arm.

Now I'm fucked.

I was lost in my own head again, thinking what the hell I was supposed to do now because I can't just leave Owen like this. I could make a run for it and pretend I never even checked on him, but then, I felt a hot hand swipe over my own.

I fucking left my hand on his forehead out of utter stupidity. Now, Owen was awake and was squinting at me with a puzzled expression on his face.

"Athena?" he muttered.

Surprised, I quickly retracted my hand from his forehead and stared at him.

"Pretend I was never here. I'm uh, I'm—"

"You have to get out. I'm sick. I don't want you to get sick because of me." he said, after heaving out a dry cough, laying down again. He now cuddled against that stuffed dragon he was attached to, turning away from me again.

At first, I wanted to tell him I'm leaving but with that reaction, I wanted to stay a bit more. Even when he's sick, he's still stubborn. I rolled my eyes and sighed. I guess I have my work cut out for me.