24 - You have a little something there

Sam's Pov

"You guys should really think about changing your mascot." A girl's voice rang though the hall, followed by her laughter.

Nate never brought a girl other than Casey home. Who is she?

I knocked on his door and suddenly the voices were no longer heard. Nate opened the door and frowned at me.

"You never knocked before barging into my room. What's up?" he asked.

"Who are you with?" I asked and he frowned at me.

"Since when did you start taking responsibility to interrogate me?" he asked with a raised eyebrow and his arms across his chest to stand in a defensive stance.

"Since I was born before you." I replied darkly.

"And since when did you remember that?" he asked scoffing.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked defensively.

"Oh I don't know. What about all the time you could be an older brother but you didn't and instead chose to ignore me?" he asked and I looked at him confused."Like when I was bullied, when I was teased because my older twins were freaking good at everything but I was good for nothing?" he reminded me and I just looked at him in confusion. "Good Lord, you don't even remember this?" he said with slumped shoulders. "What do you need Sam?" he asked in a resigned voice.

I stood there numbly for a while trying to take in everything I heard. Why does he sound so sad? Isn't he the one who is loved and adored by everyone? Why am I feeling guilty even without doing anything? It's not my fault if he always felt like that.

"Sam? What do you want?" he asked loudly to get me away from my thoughts.

"Why is some other girl who isn't Casey with you in your room?" I asked finally.

"Why do you care?" he asked stubbornly.

"Because Casey is my friend and I care for her." I retorted.

"Are you sure that's the only reason?" he asked sassily.

"What the hell are you speaking?" I asked with clenched fists.

"You know exactly what I mean. Everyone already knows about the fact that you have feelings for Casey. Despite her dating me. So what I am asking is, are you really worried about her because she is your friend or are you happy that now you can make direct passes at her." he said and even before I knew it I felt my fists crunching against his face.

I know I always disliked my brother. But my feelings were never this strong. I thought I just disliked him because mom and dad loved him and always praised him. But now I know why I truly hate him, it's because he is a smartass. Not that there was no truth in what he actually spoke.

He punched me back and within minutes we were on the floor, hitting each other.

"Sam, Nate, stop it!" my mom began shouting from behind us. She yelped and stepped back when our brawl continued till her feet. "Donovan! Stop them." she yelled at my older brother but I found him laughing from the sidelines.

"But why mother, they had that tension between them for years. If this is the solution, let them be." He said laughing loudly.

"I've got idiots for sons." She huffed and then Ruby, the oldest of us, entered the hall.

"What the hell is happening here?" they asked loudly.

"They are fighting for respect." Donn explained.

"Stupid, stop them." they said and shoved me away just when I was about to land another punch on Nate's face. When I was going in again, he lifted his hand up and glared at me.