Chapter 1

R Y A N

FOUR YEARS LATER.....

        WALKING out of the school doors with my bag over my shoulder and car keys in hand, the nerves of being alone haunted me. The one thing I hated about Wednesday's was I always had to walk to my car alone when I was going home. Jackson had practise and my two best friends, or should I say - my only friends, had after school clubs.

"Just a few more weeks Ryan... A few more weeks and your outta here for good,'' I think as I walk to my car Mum and Dad got me for my sixteenth birthday.

Honestly, I have nothing to worry about because I was leaving school early to go to the dentist. I'm not going to see anyone. No one is going to be waiting for me. No one is going to bother me. Everyone should still be in class. But I still had the fear of bumping into faces I really didn't want to see. Faces I tried to hide from when I was by myself. But not even the worry of something bad happening could dampen my mood, not today. Today is the day I have waited for, had imagined for the longest time. The day I wished for, wished so hard for so long and now it was here.

I'm finally getting my braces off and I couldn't be any happier.

After an hour or so in the dentist chair, I smile back at the new Ryan. Now eighteen - I wasn't that skinny little thirteen year old girl that moved here four years ago. My bust had grown to a DD cup - something that practically happened over night, who would of thought it and my hips filled out in a curvaceous line down my sides.
Although I wore baggy t-shirts and jeans, no one saw what was underneath and I wanted to keep it that way so I didn't draw too much attention to myself. My hair is still an unruly mess, but now tamed everyday in a ponytail, unless there was something I needed to cover up, then on those days my hair would be down. And now... I had the perfect smile.

Sitting in the car I pull out my phone and examine my now clear teeth. They have been covered by metal for two years now and I'm so happy to have them off. No more ice chips, no more cutting the inside of my mouth, no more hiding my smile in pictures. No more hurting myself when I got punched in the face, that was for sure.

For once in my life I actually feel a little pretty. A little, dare I say normal? That doesn't happen very often. I never looked pretty and I was forever in leggings or jeans with some sort of baggy t-shirt or jumper covering me up even more. I never wore makeup or do my hair in any sort of fancy style because I'm still that plain girl from England. The plain girl with a weird accent, the plain girl who had a boys name, the plain girl who walked the halls with her head down, the plain girl who had a nephew two years younger than her.

I was just the plain.

I drive to the shopping mall and I park the car in the lot just outside. I just wanted to eat some food without the taste of metal in my mouth. Something I have been looking forward to. I just want a burger and no one say 'oh Ry... you got some bread in your teeth' or even eat some chips and not have them taste weird. But if I had known I wouldn't get to experience that, I wouldn't of gone and headed straight home instead.

▪️ ▪️ ▪️ ▪️ ▪️ ▪️ ▪️ ▪️

        SITTING ON the dock behind my house with my shoes besides me, I swing my legs back and forth, barely touching the water with my toes. The sun is shining and summer is just round the corner. Other than my room, the dock behind our house is my favourite place to get lost in. If you couldn't find me I was either sitting on the dock or floating in the middle of the lake on the wooden platform, looking at clouds. I loved listening to the water, the trees and just nature. It was always so peaceful.
   Living in London for so long meant it didn't take long before the dock became my haven. The water, the greenery of the forest trees and even the sounds of nature always calmed me. It was my little spot of heaven.
   My ego was bruised and so was the side of my face. Hence why the dock is a good hiding place, it always was. Like always, my hair was down as soon as I could to cover the marks that was hidden under my skin waiting to surface. Lucky enough Dad was on a business trip and Mum was working nights this week, meaning I had enough time to heal before they notice. Tori and Jackson moved out last summer to their own place so I would be home alone tonight, that was the way I liked it.
   I would be all alone to compose my feelings of today's events, alone to think about how shitty my life had been since we moved here four years ago. Don't get me wrong, I love my family, my friends but, all them movie's I watched like Mean Girls and Clueless growing up really didn't prepare me for how mean kids could be.