Chapter 6

R Y A N

LATER THAT night I arrive at the airport with Matthew. My parents decided to pick us up leaving Matt's parents to wait for him patiently at their house to greet him. When we arrive at Matthew's only twenty minutes from my own, we stopped off for a quick cup of tea and coffee with his parents. When I leave, I kiss Matthew on the cheek, telling him I'll message him later and Dad drives us all back home. The familiar road felt weird to look at. But comforting. Two years I hadn't seen these roads, two years I hadn't seen these houses.
   I was use to the big buildings of New York City, something I missed about the streets of London. It was no surprise why I applied to NYU, it was like living in London again, but just ten times the scale. But this had been my home for a long time and I did miss it a little. I missed my family and taking a gap year was one of the reasons for that. I could spend loads of time with them this next year while I try to figure out what I wanted to be when I grow up. This year was for me... me and my family.

"Your sister, Noah and Jackson are waiting back at the house for you," Mum says turning in her seat, "she has something important to tell you."

"She got the job!" I yelp.

Tori had been a trained midwife for the pass three years and after Jackson was born she was set in her ways of what career path she wanted. She loved babies and a career as a midwife had been the perfect job for her, but she was training to be a obstetrician, something she only decided on last year and was looking for new jobs. I'm so happy she's living out her dream.

"No peanut, something else," Dad says grinning.

"If you tell me she's pregnant I'll scream. I'm still trying to figure out if Jackson got his obnoxious tendencies from her or Jack, but I'm starting to think it's mainly from her."

"No sweetie, just wait till we get home, okay?"

"Fine," I say folding my arms and rolling my eyes. I try to rack my brain to what Tori had to tell me.

"Is she moving back to England?" I think.

I wouldn't put that pass her. Jack's parents were back home and all his family. She kept in contact with them, even visited them and they came here for a few weeks last summer. Jack was their only boy so having Jackson live so far away from them was so hard on them all but, they knew Tori was only doing what she felt was best for him at the time. Jackson had great friends, a scholarship to a college in Arizona and Tori wasn't doing too bad either. They missed seeing their grandson grow up, especially considering he was their only son's child and it was always a dream for Tori to eventually move back to England.

"Did she break up with Noah?" I think.

Her and Noah had been dating for the pass three years and she even moved in with him. Luckily enough, Jackson loved him just as much as Tori did, which was the best scenario in dating someone new. They had been on and off again over the years we first moved here, but finally they were in a solid relationship when Mum gave her the talk.
   Mum told her to not let a good thing pass, to always hold on to what makes you happy and for Tori, that was Noah. With Jack no longer in the picture, Tori took it really hard and even harder for her to move on because she felt like she would be cheating on him. But even if Jack was still here and they weren't together anymore, I know deep down Jack and Noah would have got along.
   He made Tori happy again, made her smile again, made her laugh again and most importantly he had an amazing relationship with Jackson. Which in fairness is a deal breaker for Tori. Jack was her light, her soul, her heart. Her everything. Even to this day I think Jack has a piece of her, even if he's not here.