24

I knew I had to talk to him about this, it wouldn't be fair for me to just leave him without any information. Or maybe that would hurt less than me straight up telling him that we're never going to talk again... Making excuses was too easy when I desperately wanted to stay with him.

Seconds seemed like minutes and minutes seemed like hours, the day was going by so slowly, it was actually painful to be quiet with my own thoughts. All the possibilities... Would he be angry? Would he understand? Would he even care?

"Kenny?" I heard his cute voice whisper as he was walking out of the classroom. "I can feel that you're tense, is everything okay?"

I held his hand and sighed. "No... Today is going to be hard..."

"Whatever it is" he continued. "We'll be home in no time and you'll tell me about it"

I looked around to find a clock. Fuck! It was already the end of the day! I didn't know what to say yet, how to do it! Was this really the last time we would walk holding hands? No no no!

"Kenny... Why did you stop?" He asked stopping in the middle of the street. I was standing a bit behind him, still holding on to his hand. He looked behind and tried guessing where my eyes were, he ended up looking at my nose but I didn't mind. I pulled his hand a bit to show that I didn't want to go that way. He looked confused.

"I want to go to the park, I want to have a proper goodbye..."

"Can you just wait a bit until we get home so you can tell me what's wrong?" He asked. I pulled his hand with a bit more strength. "D-do you want me to follow you?"

I started pushing him and he followed quietly. After long 8 minutes of pure silence and walking, we were at the park. He sat down in the bench in front of the pond and looked around.

"Wow, this is really pretty" he stared at the water and plants. I looked at him.

"Any special reason you wanted to come here?" He asked. I placed my hands in his face and turned it slightly to me. He looked around confused. He grabbed the piece and tried seeing me to understand what I was doing.

"Is everything okay? You look sad!" He asked worried now that he could see my expression. I tried my hardest to smile.

...

"I love you"

(Y/n)'s pov

I looked at his face, his emotions taking the better of him. I saw that he was trying to say something, his lips were moving but I wasn't really catching what he was trying to tell me. I tilted my head and closed my eyes a bit to focus on the lips, but nothing, it was too blurry for me to understand.

"Kenny, I couldn't understand that, what did you say?" But instead of repeating it he just smiled. He looked at me with his light blue eyes and got closer. He kissed me, a long kiss that felt like forever. His soft hands seemed scared to touch my face, it was like he was afraid of breaking me as if I was glass. After we parted ways I looked at him. I didn't have words, something about that felt very depressing... I didn't know what to say.

I wanted to keep looking at him, I wanted to figure out what was going on just by reading his expression, but soon enough my head started hurting from the blurry vision. I closed my eyes and rubbed them, attempting to erase the pain. When I opened them again I was disappointed to see an empty seat besides me.

I felt his hand grab mine. I grabbed it back.

"Don't worry, it will be alright"

We watched the sunset, his head on my shoulder and my hand holding his tightly. I didn't know what was it but whatever was happening to Kenny, it was bad, I could feel his dread and despair, I just wanted to hold him and tell him everything was gonna be okay but, I didn't even know what was wrong. We both looked at the blue gradient to orange that covered the sky and the soft pink clouds surrounding it. No words were spoken or heard, just the water, the birds and the leaves in the wind.

I got a message from my mom asking me where I was, I apologized to Kenny and told him we had to go home which he didn't seem to be against. We went up the street and the mood was getting worse. I had a weird sensation that it was the calm before the storm, and that worried me a lot.

We arrived and I went upstairs, feeling a weight on my shoulders. But at this point I didn't know if it was him or just the anxiety. Once in my room, I closed the door and took out the board out. I placed my hands on the piece and breathed in.

"Kenny, I'm here. So... Are you okay?"

The piece was moving slowly and weakly.

"S-o-r-r-y"

"For what?" I asked. My mind running with thoughts of him telling me that he never liked me, that it was all just a joke. My heart started beating faster thinking of all the possible outcomes.

"G-i-v-e-b-o-a-r-d-t-o-d-a-m-i-e-n"

I smiled nervously. "Why would I do that, he would probably go back in our deal"

Wait...

"Kenny, you don't want to talk to me anymore?" I asked with my voice trembling.

"I-d-o-n-t-w-a-n-t-y-o-u-d-y-i-n-g"

"But that's not even a problem!" My voice got louder and my tone shifted a more angry one. "I'm fine, you're fine, we're fine so nothing needs to change"

"No"

"What do you mean no?" I felt a bit betrayed. "Why do you want to go back to suffering?!"

The piece didn't move...

I got progressively more worried.