26

Kenny's pov

I looked at the boy as he hid himself in his bed. I felt an incredible wave of regret and guilt hit me.

Was that the right choice?

Did I do the right thing?!

I didn't just ruin this boy's life did I?!

No no.... It was for the better right? Now (Y/n) wouldn't have to die everyday!! He wouldn't have to suffer! That was the right choice, right?! Yeah! And it doesn't matter that we can't talk anymore, it's not like what we had was that important right? He'll just move on!

I tried thinking positive as my breathing got faster.

"This is for the better, you did the right thing! It's too late to regret now! He will be much happier now!" I tried shoving those thoughts in my head but all I could hear was (Y/n)'s sobs.

"Fuck..."

The days came and went extremely slowly. The first days (Y/n) would still talk to me as best as he could. Asking me things and greeting me, but not being able to know my answer really ruined the fun in having me around. It hurt a bit to hold his hand and have him move it like I wasn't even there, but it's not like I could blame him for it. What once felt comforting and nice, now felt wrong and out of place. I felt out of place...

After some weeks he would rarely mention my name. At some point he just stopped. He just lived his life as it was before, only now much more depressed and numb. I'd follow him everyday to school and then sleep on the floor of his room at night. I didn't feel worthy of sleeping next to him like before. His face lost it's unique expressions and emotions, everyday was the same dead look. Even though he was bad, it comforted me to know that he wasn't getting killed by Damien.

But just because he wasn't dying, didn't meant he wasn't suffering on the inside. I couldn't possibly imagine what he was going through. Even tho I felt alone and sad too, I could still see him, feel him, hear him. Unlike me, he was all alone...

Alone in his room everyday, locked from the world drawing his problems away. It was weird to see him draw me sometimes but I could understand why. He missed me and I missed him. I also noticed a shift when it came to music. His playlist was suddenly full of lo-fi songs and other sad music that he would listen on repeat.

It had been some weeks and I was following him around when we came across Damien.

"Oh wow, look who it is. My favourite couple" He smiled looking at us. While (Y/n) was with a dead look, I had a bit of sadness showing.

"Oh my- this is even better than I thought. You guys look like shit! This is amazing!" He laughed loudly in our faces. I kept quiet looking away, remorse consuming my head. I suddenly heard a loud thud and looked at them.

"WHAT THE FUCK" Damien was on the floor with a red mark in his right cheek. I looked at (Y/n) who had his fist up and a small grin on his face. There was silence for a moment before small laughs were heard. I looked confused at the boy.

"Ahahahahah" (Y/n) laughed quietly. For the first time in months I heard his laugh. But after looking at his face I knew it wasn't a good laugh. "Thanks for this, I needed it" he said looking at Damien with a death stare. He got up quickly and grabbed him by his hoodie pulling him up.

"Who the fuck do you think you're talking to?" He asked in a threating way. But he got no reaction from (Y/n) besides an eyebrow raise.

"What, you're gonna kill me?" He asked with an ironic voice.

"Ugh, if you're going to act like a douche bag then I'm leaving" he dropped him on the floor and looked up at me. "Also Kenny, you have a month until you come back, are you really going to waste it with him?"

"I-I don't know..." I answered unsure of what to say.

"Look man, I really hate you, but at least enjoy being a ghost for a bit. I don't know, spy on people, fly to different places, discover the world's biggest secrets!"

I thought for a while. It was ironic how I never got to do the things I most wanted to do as a ghost...

"Bye then" Damien left and the boy slowly got up. He stood in silence for a while and then whispered.

"Kenny, please... Don't waste your time with me"

I looked at him surprised. I felt as if a bit of my soul had come to life again, it had been so long since he mentioned my name.

"I will!" I answered. "I don't want to bother you anymore so, I'll go away... Until I come back"

I wanted to leave but it was as if my legs were stuck. I physically didn't want to be away from (Y/n), after making his life such a mess, I felt it was only fair to look after him... But I couldn't just hang around him all the time, it wouldn't be good for neither of us. For all I know, being around your ex while trying to move on doesn't really help...

"Okay, I'm going to enjoy these last days as a ghost!"

I flew away from the school leaving (Y/n) behind. I gulped at the thought of leaving him alone but didn't let that stop me. Once I was high up I looked around. The city looked tiny beneath me, the same old city I had been in for all my life. It was time to explore the world. I looked around at the mountains surrounding me and noticed a plane in the distance.

"Hmmm... And where might you be going?" I asked looking at the plane getting closer slowly. I flew in its direction and sat on top of it. I enjoyed the view around me wondering what was the destination. I didn't matter really, as long as it was a new place for me to see, it was good.