Eugene Roe Imagine #2

God it was cold. I don't think I've ever felt this cold since the say I walked into Bastogne. I couldn't feel my toes, or almost anything of that matter. Non-stop shivering was all I did when I watched the line or stayed in my foxhole. Though, after a while, I grew used to it. My teeth chattering and numbness in certain areas of my body was now normal. Though, when German artillery was blowing up my friends and the trees all around me, I've started to just forget about all of my current problems going on in my body. I think now, after watching Penkala and Muck being killed and now Toye and Guarnere getting their legs blown off, I've become numb to it. Those numb limbs are the least of my worries. Keeping the ones I have left alive are now my priority.

    I laid in my foxhole, now it's been a day since Toye and Guarnere had been shipped out. I had been looking at the sky, getting lost into my deep thoughts. That was until someone saying my name pulled me out of my thoughts. I looked over to the person. There stood Doc Roe. Our medic. The Cajun man and I locked eyes, which I quickly averted, feeling my face begin to heat up. Mentally thanking the fact that it was pitch black out. I had my eyes on Doc ever since training back in Toccoa. That was a couple years ago, though in the moment, it felt like a lifetime. The way he was so gentle and caring over everyone in easy company, the ways he concentrated on little things, how his accent rolled off his tongue, how his nose got pink whenever it was cold. No matter what, he was there for anyone. Though, I always pushed those thoughts into the back of my mind. 

    "You okay there Y/N? You're shivering an awful lot, more than usual. You need a blanket," Roe went on, slightly scolding me for not listening to him. I just nodded along with what he is saying. My mind was in other places, darker places. The scenes of my closest friends getting blown up by kraut artillery kept replaying in my mind. So once again, I got lost in my own head and oh god was it not fun. Though, I was yanked out of my thoughts by the same accent. "Y/N, you okay?" he asked softly, jumping next to me into my foxhole. I looked at him, his eyes were filled with concern along with the features on his face.

  Tears welled up. I swallowed the lump in my throat. Holding in what I had been feeling for now fucking years. I saw the Cajun's eyes soften and in almost an instinct he hugged me tightly. Snaking his hands around my waist and pulling me into him tightly. I was shocked at first, so I didn't hug back immediatley. But when I did, I hugged hard. I wrapped my arms around his neck tightly, burying my face into his shoulder. I could feel his chin on my shoulder as I felt him rub my back slightly. Tears began to slip down my cheeks. Though, I quickly snapped back into my senses.

    I pulled away from the Medic's grasp. Wiping my eyes quickly. Standing up and brushing my trousers off in one motion. "I'm sorry Roe, I don't want you or anyone else to see me like this," I said quickly, about to get out of the foxhole. But, I was stopped my tight grab on my wrist. I turned my head around to see a sad looking Medic. Just as broken as you. Your heart just broke right then and there. I gave in.

    He pulled me back. I lost my footinh and slipped on the snow though. I yelped as I fell onto the medic directly. He wrapped his arms right back around my waist protectivley. Our noses now inches apart, I know he can feel the heat radiating off my face like I can with his. My breathing rate quickened. I was embaressed. So fucking embarrassed. I smiled softly. Roe then did what to me was the unthinkable. He kissed me. Well, the first try, our noses and forheads got in the way. Which resulted in a couple giggles and smiles. The second try, the shy medic kissed me softly. He lips continuously grazing against mine. He brought his hand up to my hair, removing my helmet slowly and placing it besides us. I brought ny hands up to his black hair. God this was perfect.

    I pulled away, smiling down at him as he returned it. Our faces pink and happy. My eyes were dry and my dark thoughts weren't there in the moment. No artillery in the moment. No screams. Silence. It couldn't get better in this moment.

    "Hey Y/N, you can call me Eugene you know," he smiled at me softly. He chuckled. I smiled back as we sat up and then sat against the wall against my foxhole. He grabbed a blanket near by and draped it over our legs. I smiled to myself. Even though I know it wasn't going to stay this quiet and comfortable for long. I know soon that Eugene will be called, and the poor medic would have to run. But, for right now, it was okay. I was happy and comfortable in this moment. I looked up to the Cajun I had my shoulder on, smiling up at him. And of course his gaze came back down to me, and a small smile grew on his pale face. Rosy tints growing on either of our cheeks. Right now, this was perfect. No matter what happened now, or in the future, I won't ever forget this moment.

   "Okay Eugene."