Eugene Roe Imagine #3

Where was I? I spun around in a circle, observing my surroundings. I clutched my rifle tightly into my hands. The white snow being completely everywhere in the forest. My body shivered as my teeth chattered. Where am I? I couldn’t hear anything. The sounds of my hyperventilating was the only thing I was hearing. I whipped my head around. I couldn’t see anyone or listen to anyone. I didn’t know which direction to go in. So here I was, alone and lost in Bastogne. I was running out of Kraut Artillery fire with Eugene, he had a tight grip on my hand as we sprouted alongside other men. I was watching out of the corners of my eyes as my friends for years were getting blown to pieces. I swallowed hard as we ran. 

     It was fine until I felt Eugene let go of my hand. I thought nothing of it and continued running deeper into the forest. It was until I ran out of breath when I stopped running. I looked around me. No one was there. I called out. The worst part was that I couldn’t see Gene’s Medic armband anywhere. I called out for him, or anyone for that matter. And no one answered, SO now here I was. Alone, cold, and scared in Bastogne. And I couldn’t find my love Eugene anywhere. Shit. Shit. Shit. Okay stay calm Y/N, you’re fine. They’ll either find you or you will find them.
From there I headed in the direction of which I believed where I came from. The snow  made it difficult to see my old footprints. But I could see the faint marks and followed them back quickly and closely. I started running back into that direction. I looked around. Horror filled my body as I saw my close friends. Their bodies littered the forest floor. They were mangled, limbs missing. Liebgott, Malarkey, Lipton, everyone, their bloodied bodies were there. All over. I stopped running, looking around at the massacre. I shakily brought my hand to my mouth, tears threatened to spill. The entire company was killed in this attack. Oh my god. They were all dead. 

    I walked through the sea of bodies. Now the tears slipped down my cheeks slightly. Was I the only one left? No. Gene has to be alive. He had to have made it out. Gene is smart. He got out of this. Surely he did.

     “Gene? Where are you?” I called out. I searched and searched. I walked through the forest, going deeper into our companies camp. Everything was destroyed. I couldn’t believe it. The pictures of the bodies of all my comrades filtered through my head as I walked. I slinged my rifle’s strap over my shoulder as I wrapped my arms around, trying to get some warmth to my body. Small and quiet sobs left my mouth. I kept my head down, looking at my feet as I kept walking forward. That was until my eyes met with drops of blood. The drops were rather large. Something drew me to follow the small puddles of blood. In which I did. I followed so closely and my pace quickened. My breath hitched in my throat as the path stopped. My pace came to a halt and I looked up. A couple yards in front of me was a body. I stared at it closely.

     My heart sank and I swear I could feel the color leave my face. I saw that Medic armband. Oh god no. I could feel my heartbeat quicken and my head began to pound. I ran to the body and dropped onto my knees besides it. I took off my helmet and placed my rifle onto the ground. I rolled the body over, praying to myself it wasn’t my Eugene Roe. But, when I rolled the limp corpse over, I felt my world collapse. The pink-nosed Medic laid there. Lifeless with snow and bits of blood spattered over his face. I choked out a sob. I brought my hand to my lost love’s face. He was colder than ever. And when he had no response to my touch, I screamed out. 

      “Gene! Wake Up! Please, Genie!” I cried out. My poor Gene was just there. So lifeless. I was too late. If I came here earlier, I would’ve been able to help him. Good going Y/N. You are now alone in fucking Bastogne and the Love of your life is now dead. Oh, and the enemy is probably surrounding you. I swallowed hard. I wish died along with everyone else. And along with that thought, I heard a branch break. I grabbed my rifle and whipped my body around. And when I turned around, my eyes met with a Kraut. I saw the look in his eyes as his rifle was already aimed at my torso. I aimed my sights right back at the German infantry man, but it was too late. The Kraut pulled the trigger and the shot rang off.

     With that, My body shot up. I was in my bed, tears pouring down my face, and sweat pouring from my face and the rest of my body. I looked over quickly to see my husband, Eugene asleep. A loud sigh of relief left my lips. I placed my head into my hands, silent sobs left my lips. That nightmare was one of the worst ones I have ever had since Gene and I got back to Louisiana. I sat up in bed, checking the clock. It was just two in the morning. I sighed but jumped quickly as a hand went to my shoulder. I turned and looked over, seeing my shirtless husband laying there, well now sitting up, with a worried look spread across his face.  Quickly wiped my face and look away.

     “Sorry Gene, I didn’t mean to wake you,” I said softly, trying to hide the fact that  had been crying. Though, it was clearly obvious. He sat up, scooting himself over to me. Gene turned my face to face his. I swallowed hard. “Hey doll, there is no need to apologize to me,” he replied softly, looking into my eyes. “Was it the same dream, or a different one doll?” he asked softly. I gulped. “It, It was a different dream this time Gene. We were back in Bastogne. The, the artillery killed everyone. Everyone. You, you died. It was only me and then a kraut came-” I began to hyperventilate and tears began to pour once more. A few more sobs fell loudly out of my mouth. I shut my eyes tightly and I fell against Eugene. He wrapped his arms around me tightly and he shushed me. I felt him rock me slightly, knowing it calmed me. 

      “Y/N. you’re safe. You are okay, nobody is dead. We aren’t in Bastogne, we are back in Louisiana. There aren’t no Krauts and no artillery. I’m alive and we are married. I love you, sweets,” he spoke so softly. Almost immediately my tears dried up, my breathing regulated and I was back to normal. Eugene placed his forehead on mine and gave me a tender kiss on the lips. I smiled softly as he smiled back. “I love you too, Genie. Hell, i don’t know what I would do without you,” I said softly and happily to the man sitting in front of me. And with that, he gave me another kiss and laid me down next to him. I had my head and arms on his bare chest and our legs entangled. He laid on his back with a hand playing with my H/C hair. I smiled softly as I paid focus to Gene’s heartbeat the rise and fall of his chest. I felt so content in that very moment. Even with all these horrible nightmares, at least I had the love of my life to fall pack on. And it is the same way with him.

     “I love you, Genie,” I spoke softly.

     “I love you too, My Y/N,” He responded.

    And with that, both Eugene and I fell asleep, and slept well into the next day together. Oh how nice life was back home in Louisiana.