Joe Leibgott Imagine #3

AN: This was a requested Imagine. I tried my best to surprise you and I hope you enjoy it!

     I hopped off the ship, straight out of the Pacific theater. The war had ended in the Pacific, now I was back in my city. Now a war beaten female Marine that had zero clue on what she was going to do with life.

   I held my C-Bag tightly in my left hand and used my right to adjust my cap and flatten my skirt. A heavy sigh left my lips as I looked around. Sailors and Marines met with their families. I watched as men ran to their women, kissing them and embracing them happily. How they ran to their families, shedding happy tears. I wasn't going to receive that for my home coming. I didn't have a man, or well I did when I first left, but he had broke things off with me whilst I was n Guadalcanal. Left me for some broad in a bar. Tragic right? I didn't have any family here in San Francisco. I didn't have any pets or any real friends to come home to. Just my apartment and my bed. Which I was more than appreciative to finally come home to instead of sleeping in a dirty and muddy cot in the middle of some jungle. While it poured and we feared that the Japanese would come and override us. But now, I get my nice comfortable bed and warm blankets. I was so ready for it.

   I walked to the curb , clutching my bag's handle. I glanced right and left,  looking to see if a cab would be so kind and stop. Hoping that I wouldn't be charged to much money for a ride to my apartment building. I swung my hand out, waving towards a cab that was coming in my direction, in which it stopped. Surprisingly, I only waited just a minute or two for a Taxi. Especially since it was later at night, I didn't really know the time. I didn't think twice when the cab came to a stop in front of me to open the back seat door and hop into the seat. Placing my bag right besides me. I looked in the rear view mirror, making eye contact with the driver. And wow did I not want to take my eyes off him. Being the only female Marine in all of the Pacific, I was hit on by a lot of men, but I rejected all of them. It is safe to say that Marines just aren't my type. But, let me tell you, this cab driver was something else.

   "Where to Ma'am?" he asked, looking back at me. His accent was different, how he spoke was different. Not a bad different. But very unique. A voice I could easily get lost in.

   "457 South Street, the apartment building," I responded, sliding my Garrison cap off of my head and placing it neatly on my lap.

  "Hey, I live there," the cab driver said as he began driving. A small smile formed on his face as he looked at the road in front of him. I smiled in response. "the name's Joe," he added, looking at me through the rear view mirror. "Joseph Leibgott," he finished. I nodded at his words.

  "Y/N L/N, nice to meet you Mr. Leibgott," I smiled. He chuckled. He seemed very sweet.

  "You were a Marine?" he asked, looked into the mirror. I nodded, looking down at my lap. quickly realizing and processing the things I have been through in the past few years. How in the world was I going to adapt to normal life now?

  "Yes sir, served all the way from Guadalcanal to Okinawa," I stated. I straightened my shoulders, trying to look and act more strong and proud than I actually was. He nodded, an impressed look spreading across his face. 

   "I was in the Airborne, 101st, European Theater," he replied. I nodded in response. I wouldn't even think of him as being apart of this awful war. I looked down at my lap, awkwardly not knowing what to say. It had been so different trying to have a normal conversation outside of what I just endured for the past few years. "I understand the having trouble with the conversations like you did before leaving," he chuckled. I gave a small laugh back. Joe was very nice, I wanted to get to know him more.