With Him |35

"Alright Nyla, when we get in there if anyone asks you're with me."

"Like with you, with you or with you," I asked. He pulled his eyebrows together and looked down in confusion. "I-what?"

"Never mind." I sighed. "Just stick close to me, don't go wandering off on your own and don't speak to anyone unless spoken to."

On the ride to the venue, I snuck glances at him not wanting to stare. But for some reason, I couldn't keep my eyes off of him. He'd caught my eye a few times and it caused butterflies to flutter in my stomach.

Or maybe I was imagining it Maybe I thought I was feeling butterflies. I mentally scolded myself for allowing Javier's words to affect me like this.

After getting through the painfully long ceremony, we went to the after-party. I knew it would be the highlight of the night. There were dishes from all over the world. I could only imagine it was the bride's idea.

Her name was Danica and from her husband, Andre's, beautiful vows, I'd learned that she was kind, loving, and diverse. She had a love for foreign dishes and chocolate cake, and she wanted ten kids. The groom was similar.

"So how'd you two meet?" Danica's cousins Charles asked. "Through work," I replied.

"Oh! How long have you two been together?"

I laughed a little and began to say that we weren't but of course, Sebastian beat me to the punch. "About a year now."

He looked over at me and I could see him trying to tell me to play along with eyes. "Can't remember the exact number?" I teased.

"A little over a year. I remember when she first walked into my office. She was straight to the point and she wasn't on my dick the way people usually were." He recited. "That's because I'm professional," I said and took a sip of my champagne.

"Her first week at work was trial and error but I knew I'd need her in the long run." He said sweetly. He didn't sound like he was just playing a part. It sounded real. Jesus, I'm delusional. "Aww."

"Why haven't you brung her around sooner?!"

Sebastian turned to look me in the eye and I awaited his reply. "I'd prefer to have her all to myself. If she'd met you all sooner she might've run for the hills."

He held eye contact with me the entire time. I was only certain that the second half of what he'd said was true. "Oh please! We aren't that bad." The groom's aunt interjected. "This is as neutral and calm as you'll ever see them." Sebastian smiled.

"I better be one of the first on the invitee list to your wedding," Charles said.

I Bit back a laugh and smiled. "Of course," Sebastian said.

After the feast came the dancing and more drinking. I only had a glass of champagne and a shot of tequila. However, I didn't feel much but a small buzz. I sat at the round table of tired women who had, had enough of their heels while Sebastian was off talking to the groom about something.

"Sorry about that, love." He said as he emerged from the crowd and approached me. "It's all good. Betty kept me good company." I said referring to the 96-year-old woman who was now asleep in her chair. Or at least I think she's asleep.

He smiled and shook his head. "Dance with me."

"Nah, I'm Good. You did say to deny anyone's request for a dance." I teased. "True but it wasn't a request."

He grabbed my hand and pulled me to the center of the dance floor. His hands found my waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck. We swayed to the slow-paced music and I tried my best not to look directly in his eyes. "You know I meant what I said at the table."