First date.

(I am happy that people seem to be reading my story! Don't forget to comment/vote as it will help to motivate me into putting more chapters out. I hope that this chapter doesn't have too many errors, I kind of rushed it. Anyway, enjoy~)

---Nightmare's Pov---

The cold atmosphere was slowly fading and becoming more bearable for (Y/n)... I've been concerned about her for awhile now since she is always showing up in a thin blue coat. Due to her being poorly dressed, I have been lending her my coat during her visits.

I found myself smiling from the branch that I sat on as I opened the box that she gave me during Christmas. Inside was the chess board that we had been playing on and all of the pieces to the game, everything was very well kept.

Carefully, I picked up the black King piece and began to inspect it with a small smile. It wasn't until my phalanges dragged themselves across the base of the object that I noticed something... it felt like the piece was slightly obstructed? 

Turning the King over, I noticed indents in the bottom that weren't there before. Upon closer inspection, I could make out the form of a heart with letters below that read "Love you."

I found myself chuckling before taking out each piece individually, I was trying to see if anything else was different...

Finally I came to the board which I flipped over and once again found another inscription in the center that was carved. 'Does this mean that she was using something sharp?'

I dismissed my opposite half's discomfort as I brought the chess board closer to my face. If she did use a knife to carve in these words, then she definitely did a great job... Although, now that I think about it, I didn't really like the idea that she potentially owned something sharp either. "Nightmare x (Y/n)"

'Someone is coming.' The echoing voice warned. I looked down from my seated position and noticed that someone was indeed coming towards me- and it wasn't (Y/n). As I was prepared to use some magic to scare off the intruder, I came to realize that this person was actually my brother... 'Not like you've seen him in a few weeks. (Y/n) comes by more than your own brother.'

That was something my opposite wouldn't ever admit to, he would never refer to Dream as his brother. The reasoning behind this was probably simple- he never exactly had the opportunity to interact with him... However, that would raise questions in the back of my head. He didn't like my brother, yet he was so fond of (Y/n)?

"Hey, brother." I said casually. Dream looked up and smiled at me before offering a wave in my direction. He re-positioned his crown on his head while brushing some dust off of his clothes as I jumped down from my seat to greet him. 'Great. Maybe he can watch the tree.'

'What?' I questioned the sinister half as Dream's eyes became fixated on the box that I kept close to me.

"Hey... What's that you got there?" My brother asked. I watched as he moved his hand forward in an attempt to take the box from me, but I backed away from him in response. "Whoa, I wasn't going to take it from you."

'Tell him we need a walk. We can go and look for (Y/n)... Maybe save her from being clumsy today.' At this proposal, I paused. It did seem like a good idea, after all, she has been showing up with small cuts more frequently than usual... And whenever I ask her if she is hurt anywhere else, she just looks away. 'I am fed up with her lack of responses to that. If I was in control, I'd make her stri-'

"It was... A gift." I said in an attempt to block the voice out. My face was a deep purple from the words that were almost spoken by him...  He was so suggestive all the time, making me terrified for the moments that he did find himself in control. "Listen, I really would like to take a walk... Could you maybe watch the tree for about an hour or two?"