Dominance.

(Well, after this chapter we have one more remaining :D This story was very long, but I kept it going! After tomorrow, we will be doing the Horror x Reader, and probably a comic off of my tumblr. I am new to tumblr, so I am still figuring it all out ._. I will give you guys a link to it tomorrow during chapter forty. Also, this story has over 2000 reads?!  Anyway, enjoy!~)

---(Y/n)'s Pov---

I turned around slowly and froze when I saw Nightmare. I probably looked like a deer caught in headlights. The entire bar was filled with an awkward silence... no one knew how to react.

A few more seconds went by before Red was the first to speak.

"Fuck this. I'm out... every skeleton for himself." And with that, he vanished. A shadow hid Nightmare's face from everyone in the room. all that was visible was a frown. I honestly could never choose whether his smile was more terrifying than his frown... but I think that I finally knew.

Looking towards Dust with a pleading expression, he seemed to hesitate for a moment before offering me a smirk. When I thought that he was just going to throw me to the wolves, he instead made a bold move.

I watched-

No... wait, that wasn't right.

I gawked.

Yes, I gawked at Dust as he threw his body forward and wrapped his arms around Nightmare's torso to hold him in place. "Red might be a little bitc-"

Nightmare's glare stopped his entire sentence, causing him to rethink his words. Finally, he knew what he was going to say... in fact, he shouted it. "RUN AWAY (Y/N)! I'LL KEEP HIM GROUNDED!"

Was that... a pun? At a time like this?! Well anyway... I decided to say the only thing that I could in response to his actions. *Thanks, Dust. You're a true friend.*

The King seemed to growl aggressively while summoning his appendages. With Dust keeping Nightmare held in place, I was able to reach the door with minimal issues... but still. Nightmare was growing persistent, and even more enraged at my evasion. I probably shouldn't of viewed this as a game.

While I was dodging left and right from his attempts at grabbing me, I couldn't help but give Nightmare my signature smirk. He took this as a challenge of his dominance, and as a result... before I moved to leave the bar...

I turned around and stuck my tongue out at him.

Once I managed to get outside, I ran in the direction of Waterfall. Of course I remembered my mark... and how it would lead him to me. I was fucked, literally. Actually, I was almost certain that I saw his pearly white cheshire smile before I exited...

Shivering before I broke off into a sprint towards Waterfall, I knew that Nightmare was pissed off... because I could hear him swearing. "GET THE FUCK OFF OF ME, DUST."

"NO! YOU TOLD ME TO PROTECT (Y/N)! BEST FRIENDS STICK TOGETHER!" Dust why... you're only going to make him more upset.

Despite that thought, I found his antics to be both loyal and amusing.

After about twenty minutes of straight running, I reached the Waterfall cave. The familiar sound of dripping water could only fill me with terror. I knew that by now, Dust probably had his head stuck in a snow bank while the King of negativity was searching for me.

All I could feel was the regret of my cocky actions... yes I viewed this as a game, but Nightmare probably saw it as something more. Thinking back to the mark and how Red was making his explanations about it... I came to remember the fact that the dominant monster is generally the one who marks the mate. After what I did, his instincts probably told him that I was testing him.