14: Nightmare Memories

The conversation had died out, but Loki wasn't responsive. Kat managed to pull him up off the couch, and led him back to their room. He was just moving automatically, and Kat was worried. She hadn't ever seen him like this.

Eventually, Kat got him to lie down, and pulled a blanket over him. Sitting cross legged on the bed beside him, Kat had no idea what to do. She wanted to comfort him, but considering she didn't know what was wrong, she didn't know what would help. And she didn't want to overstep.

Loki's back was to her, and he blankly stared at the wall. Hesitantly, Kat reached out, and undid the half bun, and ran her fingers through it. When he didn't push her away, she continued until he fell asleep.

~~~~~~

Kat was practicing her meditation when she felt him stir. With a slight start, she realized he wasn't waking up, but having a nightmare. She set a hand on his shoulder, and tried to shake him awake. "Loki, Lokes, wake up."

It was clear the moment he woke up, as he must have registered the two hands at his shoulder and elbow to be an enemy. The next thing she knew, she was pinned to the bed with a dagger at her throat. Loki scrambled back a second later, panting, his eyes wide.

Kat propped herself up. "Lokes?"

"I... Katha." Loki said, dismissing the dagger.

"It was just a nightmare, you're okay." Kat said softly.

Loki blinked. "I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay, you're fine." Kat tried to assure him.

"It's okay...?" Loki said, his eyebrows furrowing.

"It was just a nightmare. We all have them." Kat replied.

Loki was confused. She was focused on the nightmare... While yes, the nightmare had been... Indescribable, that wasn't his immediate horror. "It's okay? I just had a dagger at your neck! I almost slit your throat!"

"You didn't though." Kat said. 

"But I almost-!"

"You didn't." Kat said firmly.

"How are you so calm?" Loki demanded.

"I'm not calm, I'm concerned." Kat said, but her words picked up speed. "You zoned out completely, and then you have a nightmare that makes your first instinct to be getting a weapon! And I have no idea what's wrong in the first place, so I don't know how to help, and Hades I might even be making it worse!"

"You are concerned? Why in all the nine realms would you be concerned about me?" Loki questioned.

"Because you're my friend!" Kat blurted, surprised that he'd even have to ask.

"I'm your friend. That doesn't make it any better that I almost killed my friend." Loki spat.

"Lokes, you didn't! I don't know why you're so freaked over something that didn't happen!"

"I am a monster, Katha! How can you even stand to be in the same room as me? How can you call me 'friend'?" Loki said, his voice full of hate.

Kat knew that hate. The kind you directed at yourself. It was probably her soul vaguely recalling from Percy's memory. "You are not a monster." Kat stated.

In his current state, that seemed to infuriate him. In a swift movement, he was standing by the foot of the bed, and had taken off his shirt. Kat was incredibly confused, until she noticed his skin begin to change. Her brows previously furrowed from confusion relaxed, her eyes widened, and jaw slacked.