38: What Just Happened?

"I see you've returned." Thor greeted his sister and sister-in-law  with a raised brow. "With a dog?"

"Thor, meet Blóðfang." Katha grinned. "My sacred animal."

"Blóðfang?" Thor asked. "Loki's idea, I presume."

"Yup." Kat said, and plopped down on one of the couches in the lounge. Blóðfang trotted over to lay down in front of it.

"Smaller than Percy's, if I recall correctly." Thor noted.

"Oh," Loki chuckled. "She gets bigger."

"Really?" 

"Yes. The smaller form is for convenience, I believe." Loki said. 

"So this is what your little adventure was about?" Thor asked. 

"She wanted to meet her sacred animal." Loki smiled. 

"Well. I assume Blóðfang will be staying around then?" Thor smiled along.

"That is the idea." Loki said.

"Look at you two, already so... How do the Midgardians say it? Domestic?" Thor suggested.

Loki blushed, but her smile didn't fade. "Shut up, you. Our circumstances aren't ordinary."

"Neither is your love for each other-" Thor teased, grinning.

Loki dove at him, Thor only barely managing to avoid it. They wrestled around for a bit, laughing the whole time. Physically stronger, Thor eventually managed to get Loki in a chokehold. 

"Sister, where's your lady to save you?" Thor asked as Loki tried to wriggle free. 

When they didn't see Katha's head at least peek over the back of the couch, Thor immediately released his brother, and they both got to their feet. Once standing, they both saw that Katha had simply fallen asleep.

"It appears that you tired her out." Thor said playfully.

Loki punched her brother. "I did not!" She hissed.

"Of course, of course." Thor said, though he failed to hide his smile.

"Don't make me stab you." Loki glared. "You know how mother hates it so."

"Your logic is puzzling, sister. Why would it be my fault that you stab me?" Thor asked.

"You insult my honor, brother." Loki said.

Thor's smile softened from playful to kind. "You should get her to bed. She will need her rest for tomorrow. As will you."

Loki returned the smile. Thor couldn't quite recall the last time he had felt their bond like this. Pure, void of ill-intent, and full of camaraderie. Thor couldn't describe the joy it gave him. He stepped forward and pressed a light kiss to his sister's foreheads. "Goodnight, my sisters."

"Goodnight, brother." Loki returned warmly, and gently took Katha into her arms and teleported away to their room.

Blóðfang looked expectantly up at Thor. He knelt down, and took the canine's head in his hands and pet her.

"They failed to tell me if you were a boy or girl, Blóðfang." Thor commented.

Blóðfang looked up at Thor with an intelligent expression.

Thor cocked his head to the side. "Boy?" Blóðfang didn't react. "Girl?" He asked instead, and Blóðfang wagged her nub of a tail and shook her head approvingly.

"Girl it is, then." Thor smiled.

~~~~~

After a night of easy sleep, Thor joined his companions for breakfast before the festivities were to truly begin.