32: Fury Falls

When the two pairs woke up, it was more awkward for the others than the couples. Apollo explained to each set that their souls had been bonded, and made plenty of inappropriate jokes. Bucky and Steve just added it to the List-Of-What's-Crazy, and Annabeth realized she was immortal.

A few hours after both had gotten back on their feet, Percy showed up to talk to Bucky and Steve. "So, we've got a little situation on our hands." 

"What happened?" Steve asked.

"Well, apparently you've been gone too long, because Pirate Nick had to talk to Uncle T to talk to me to talk to you." Percy said. "We get surprised soul-hitched and suddenly everyone needs us."

"That's one way to put it." Bucky commented.

"So what does Fury want?" Steve asked, preferring to find ground he was familiar with.

"Well, with what we know now, he thinks that it'll be better to keep you in the light. If Hydra's after you, well, it would be quite the backlash if they killed you in public." Percy said.

"So, stay seen, stay safe." Steve said.

"Pretty much." Percy nodded, "Plus he probably wants you to get back to work. You're kind of unique."

"Of course." Steve sighed. 

"He also said they've set up an apartment in DC." Percy added.

"Right. I guess I've got to head to DC then." Steve said.

"You mean 'We'." Bucky corrected.

"I do?" Steve raised an eyebrow.

"I'm coming with you. Can you imagine how uneasy it would make them if I was there, helping you?" Bucky grinned.

Steve chuckled. "Fury would have to give you clearance."

"Pirate Nick will give it, if he knows what's best for him." Percy smirked.

"Now that's settled, how're we getting there?" Bucky asked.

"I've got my bike." Steve replied.

"Yay. Have fun at work while I die." Percy said.

"Why're you dying?" Bucky asked.

"I have an appointment with Athena, who hates me by the way, to talk about politics." 

"Good luck."

"Thanks, I'm gonna need it."

~~~~~~

That evening they walked into Steve's apartment, and settled down. The following morning, Steve woke up before Bucky. It wasn't unusual, Bucky preferred to sleep in. So Steve left a note for Buck, and left to go on a run.

He had missed doing these with Percy. Maybe one of these mornings Bucky would get up early enough to go on one with him. Steve decided he liked the view on this run.

As he came to pass a man on his own run, Steve said, "On your left."

Another lap, and he came to pass the same man. "On your left."

"Ahuh, on my left. Got it." The man replied.

When Steve approached for the third time, the man said, "Don't say it, don't you say it!"

"On your left." Steve said.

"Come on!" The man exclaimed.

Later, Steve found the man sitting with his back against a tree.

~~~~~~

When Bucky woke up, Steve was already on his way to the SHIELD base with Natasha. Bucky texted, asking where he was, and Steve texted back. Eventually, the two in the car noticed a bike following them, with a familiar rider.