35: Close Calls

"Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. 

"I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

Steve stepped away from the microphone.

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" Sam asked.

"Oh, top of his head. It's what he does." Bucky said.

~~~

"You picked the wrong side, Agent." Rumlow said.

"Depends on where you're standing." Sharon Carter replied.

~~~

"Hey, Cap, how do we know the good guys from the bad guys?" Sam asked.

"If they're shooting at you, they're bad." Steve replied.

It took a lot of willpower for Bucky to hold back a laugh. Gods, he really loved Steve.

Sam took off into the air, while Steve and Bucky stayed on the ground. 

"Hey, Cap, I found those bad guys you were talking about." Sam said.

"You okay?" Steve asked.

"I'm not dead yet." Sam replied.

~~~

"I'm sorry, did I step on your moment?" Natasha said, gun pointed at Pierce.

~~~

"Alpha locked." Steve said.

~~~

"Bravo locked." Sam said.

~~~

"All SHIELD pilots, scramble. We're the only air support Captain Rogers has got." 

Tarus didn't appreciate that sentiment.

~~~

"Disabling the encryption is an executive order, it takes two Alpha Level members." Pierce said.

"Don't worry, company's coming." Natasha said.

Pierce startled when Fury walked in, very much alive. "Did you get my flowers?" Pierce asked, to which Fury glared. "I'm glad you're here, Nick."

"Really? Cause I thought you had me killed."

~~~

"You need to keep both eyes open."

~~~

"Hey Sam, I'm gonna need a ride." Steve said.

Oh no. Bucky thought. Steve I swear don't- Steve jumped.

"Roger! Let me know when you're ready." Sam replied.

"Just did!"

Sam just barely managed to catch Steve, all while nearly giving Bucky a heart attack. He was old enough for that to be a thing, too.