18: A New Year

Kat snuck Loki out of the tower on the last day of 2012. The poor god didn't know what was going on. He did, however, enjoy the gentle warmth that came with Kat's hand around his as she tugged him around. As she wove through the crowded streets, Loki simply followed her and wondered what all these mortals were doing.

Kat eventually stopped, and pointed up to a roof before vapour traveling where she had been pointing. Rolling his eyes, he joined her. Kat eagerly waited, rocking from heel to toe. Loki stepped beside her, and she flashed him a grin, before turning back ahead.

"What are we doing?" Loki asked her. "What is anyone doing?"

Kat replied, "What time is it?"

"11:57," He replied.

Kat nodded, grinning. "You'll find out in a couple minutes."

Loki hummed. True to her word, a couple minutes later she pointed out a count-down, and Loki tilted his head. Suddenly, lights flew into the sky and crackled in shimmering splendor. Cheers erupted from the crowds, including Kat, who shouted "Happy New Year!" with an earsplitting grin.

She wrapped him in a hug, and when she pulled back, Loki kept an arm around her waist. He watched the fireworks in wonder. He glanced over to see Katha staring out at them, a light sparkling in her eyes that wasn't a reflection of the fireworks themselves. He looked down, to see what others were doing far below. 

A simple bit of magic gave him advanced sight, and he saw people with arms slung over each other, gazing up side by side. He saw plenty give a partner a kiss. With a slight blush on his face, he looked again to Katha. She was still watching the fireworks. After a moment's hesitation, he leaned down and pressed a kiss to her temple.

As Loki straightened up and turned back to the light show, Katha blushed furiously, and snuggled deeper into his side. She was trying to keep watching without letting him see her blush.

Loki wouldn't comment on the rush of delight he felt when he saw her blush, or when she tucked herself against him under his arm. Looking back to the fantastic mortal lights, Loki felt content.

~~~~~~

Similarly, in San Francisco, Percy and Annabeth enjoyed the fireworks.

~~~~~~

Later that week, Percy was riding his motorcycle. Guiding him on the drive was Natasha, and Steve taking the rear, both of them on their own bikes. They were acting as his escorts for the time being. Percy was eager, and slightly nervous. 

After all, this was a SHIELD base they were riding into. They slowed to a stop eventually, Natasha and Steve identifying themselves at the check in station. The guard looked at Percy. "You're the Stark boy." He said.

Percy gave a nod. "Not the worst I've been called."

The guard chuckled. "ID?"

"We're getting him one." Steve provided.

The guard raised an eyebrow. "I can't just let anyone in." 

Percy's face had been more relaxed and lighter from the joy of riding on his very own motorcycle. Now, his resting scowl took it's place.

"Like Captain said, we're getting him one." Natasha said firmly. The guard leaned back, gave a single sharp nod, and waved them in.

Parking their bikes was easy, except that it meant Percy had to leave his bike. Walking into the base, Percy set his shoulders much like Steve did, and his face a resting scowl like Natasha. Agents gave them odd looks as they passed.