24: Last Grievances For The Ghost

A/N

If this chapter seems really long as you're scrolling, it's because I included something long after the usual author note. It is a 2,588 word chapter though, so it ain't short, don't worry.

"I hope you're practicing for Pepper's birthday." Tony commented as he found the godly pair.

"Dad!" Kat grinned. "How many days until then?"

"Day after tomorrow." Tony replied.

"Oh schist! I don't know what I'm gonna wear!" Kat cursed.

"Well," Tony said mischievously, "I think you should head upstairs."

Kat narrowed her eyes before bouncing over to the elevator, giving the two a wave as the doors closed. "Don't kill each other!"

Tony didn't like Loki, and Loki didn't care. It led to an odd dynamic with the three of them, and an awkward Pepper when the four of them were together. The only ones openly hostile to each other would be Kat and Loki, and only to a degree during their prank war.

Walking down the hall towards the living area, Kat wondered what Tony had wanted her to see upstairs. Was she supposed to have actually taken the stairs? What if she missed whatever it was, and then just had to go searching through the stairwells like an idiot? What if he had already picked out attire for her?

When she stepped into the living area, she heard a voice. "Hello malyshka."

Kat spun in place, and then ran across the room and launched herself into a hug. "Auntie-!"

Natasha caught her and laughed. "You aren't excited to see me at all."

"How long are you staying?" Kat asked, grinning.

"A few days." Natasha said.

"Going to Pepper's party?" Kat hoped.

"That's the plan." Natasha answered.

"Is Clint coming?" Kat raised an eyebrow with a mischievous smirk.

 Natasha lightly smacked the back of Kat's head at her teasing. Kat grinned. 

"Yes, he's coming." Natasha replied, "But not if we can't find dresses to wear."

Kat's nose scrunched. "That's going to be a pain in the tushie."

"Well, the sooner we get going, the sooner we get done." Natasha prompted. 

"Yeah, yeah."

~~~~~~

Eventually, Winter had gone below deck, and had slept. His dreams were filled with an odd mishmash of memories. When he woke, he felt confused. He managed to find his way to the kitchen, and assemble a meal, before heading back above deck.

And there he thought, like he had the previous day. Thinking and thinking and thinking. Trying to fix a thousand piece puzzle. It got to a point where Winter realized that even though he had escaped HYDRA, he was still at their mercy. As long as he was Winter, he was HYDRA's. Especially with those horrible words plugged into his head, just waiting to make him a murder drone.

Winter began to try and come up with a plan on how to get away. Of all the things he didn't know, he knew for certain that he or whoever he had been, had cared for Steve. And he knew that he couldn't let Steve get hurt because of him. 

In Steve's quarters of the Okeano Spiti, he found a sketchpad and pencils, and had spent his time drawing. Bucky. Bucky had been standing right in front of him. Bucky, Bucky, Bucky, Bucky...