33: Bucky Is Not Having A Good Day

"Captain, you were the last one to see Nick alive. I don't think that's an accident. And I don't think you do either. So I'm gonna ask again. Why was he there?"

"He told me not to trust anyone." Steve said.

"I wonder, if that included him?" Pierce said.

"Sorry. Those were his last words." Steve said, and walked over to pick up his shield and leave. "Excuse me."

"Captain." Pierce said, "Somebody murdered my friend. I'm going to find out why. Anyone gets in my way they're gonna regret it. Anyone."

Steve gave a nod. "Understood." And walked out.

~~~~~~

Steve walked into the elevator. "Operations control."

"Confirmed."

"-Strike personnel on site." Rumlow said, entering the elevator. "Forensics. Cap."

"Rumlow." Steve acknowledged in turn.

Rumlow turned to Steve. "Evidence response found some fibers on the roof they want us to see. You want me to get the tag team together?"

"No. Let's wait and see what it is first." Steve replied.

"Right." Rumlow said. 

The agent that had followed Rumlow in kept his hand at his weapon. Steve's instincts tingled. Something wasn't right.

The elevator opened at another floor, and several more agents filed in. "Administrations level."

"Confirmed."

"Excuse me." 

"I'm sorry about what happened to Fury." Rumlow said to Steve. "Messed up, what happened to him."

"Thank you." Steve said to Rumlow.

The man next to Steve was sweating. Nearly silent side conversations.

The elevator opened again, and three more agents walked in. "Records."

"Confirmed."

All around him were men of bulk and muscle. Steve himself had been maneuvered into the center. Now he knew for sure what wasn't right.

"Before we get started," Steve asked, "Does anyone want to get out?"

A moment of silence, and then the fight began.

Then it was just Steve and Rumlow.

"I just want you to know Cap, this ain't personal!" Rumlow said, attacking on the last word.

Take the electricity, take it, block, parry... Steve threw him up, and Rumlow crashed into the ceiling before falling to the floor.

"Kinda feels personal." Steve huffed, then knocked his shield into the air and caught it, using it to break the magnet off his wrist.

Steve pressed the button on the elevator, and the doors opened to reveal a team, armed and aiming at him. "Drop the shield, put your hands in the air."

The man hadn't even finished speaking before Steve spun and used his shield to slice through the cords, making the elevator plummet. The breaks kicked in, coming to a stop between two floors. 

Steve reached forward and pried the top doors apart. On the top was another team. Steve closed the doors, and looked for another exit.

"Give it up Rogers! Get that door open!" A man called out. "You got nowhere to go!"

Oh really? Steve thought, before he jumped through the glass. Crashing was not fun, and even though he landed on his shield, which absorbed a lot of the impact, Steve still felt the landing in his bones.