34: The Boyfriend

Sam Wilson opened his door to find three very dusty, dirty and tired heroes.

"Hey man." Sam greeted.

"I'm sorry about this." Steve said. "We need a place to lay low."

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us." Natasha said. Except for a few unreachable people that we don't want to endanger/drag into this anyway.

"Yep." Bucky confirmed.

Sam looked between the three of them. "Not everyone." He said, and stepped back to let them in.

~~~~~~

While Natasha washed up in the bathroom, Steve turned to Bucky. The man was still pale and sickly looking.

"Hey. What's wrong?"

Bucky swallowed. "Howard Stark. And his wife. Maria."

"What about them?" Steve said, crouching so that he was level with Bucky.

"It was me." Bucky whispered.

Steve's eyes widened.

"I killed them. Not only did I kill them... But I know Stark, a little. I killed my little sister's grandparents." Bucky said. 

Steve pulled Bucky into a hug. "We'll figure this out."

Bucky appreciated that he hadn't said 'It's okay'. Because it really wasn't.

~~~~~~

"You okay?" Steve asked Natasha.

"Yeah."

"What's going on?"

"When I first joined SHIELD, I thought I was going straight. But I guess I just traded in the KGB for HYDRA. I thought I knew whose lies I was telling, but...I guess I can't tell the difference anymore." Natasha said.

"There's a chance you might be in the wrong business." Steve commented.

"I owe you."

"It's okay."

"If it was the other way around, and it was down to me to save your life, and you be honest with me, would you trust me to do it?" Natasha asked.

"I would now." Steve said. "And I'm always honest."

"Yeah." Bucky said from the bathroom where he was cleaning his metal arm, "Sometimes it's a pain in the ass."

For a moment, Natasha had forgotten he was there. But Bucky seemed to be nice enough not to gossip. So she guessed it was okay.

Sam poked his head through the doorway. "I made breakfast, if you guys... Eat that sorta thing."

~~~~~~

"Now, I know who she is. But who're you?" Sam asked Bucky in the kitchen.

"I'm the boyfriend." Bucky replied.

Natasha's eyebrows rose almost as much as Sam's. Steve sighed, and did his best not to blush. Sam looked between Bucky and Natasha.

"When did you get together?" Natasha asked the two super soldiers, sending Sam into momentary confusion.

"After Percy took Steve to Camp." Bucky replied.

"And you didn't think to tell anyone?" Natasha asked.

"Didn't want to make it a big deal." Steve said shyly.

"Woah woah woah." Sam said. "Are you tellin' me that Captain America has a boyfriend?"