29

San clicked the call button on his mother's contact, hearing the monotone ringing.

A click sounded. The call was connected.

"Hi mom," San spoke, a bit hesitantly. His mom didn't ask him to call that often, thus making him wonder if something had happened.

"Hey honey! Sorry for texting so late, did I wake you up?" the pleasant voice of San's mother came through the speaker.

"No! I was still awake... did something happen?"

A long pause came from the other end. "One of our business partners quit on us and we have to sort it out. We probably won't be back until way later than we originally expected."

San pursed his lips, processing the reply. The news didn't upset him that much. He was quite independent, and was used to their absence after all this time. Yet somehow the fact slightly bothered him.

"Oh, okay. Is that all?" he questioned.

"That's the news, yeah. How are you? Are you holding up well over there?" his mom asked, her tone now a pleasant, caring one.

"I'm good! Actually, uh..." San trailed off. He couldn't shake the thoughts of earlier's events; Wooyoung, his parents, his text—

San felt as if he had to test the waters.

"Hey, mom... how would you feel if I told you that... I found someone I like?"

Yet another silence from the phone.

And then— an excited voice.
"You did?! Who?? My baby San is so grown up, I might cry," his mom rambled, San smiling at her reaction before remembering what he wanted to say.

"Don't get too excited yet. You might not like what I'm about to tell you," San warned, hearing a small reply of understanding over the phone.

"That person is... male. A boy from my class," San felt as if he forced the words out, a feeling of dread swirling in his chest. He had never come out to his mom out of fear; right then was the crucial moment.

A few seconds passed by, San growing more and more worried with each one.

"San. Do you sincerely like this boy?"
her voice came, serious.

San blinked. "Y...yeah, I do. I really, really do."

"Then what are you waiting for? Get me a son-in-law already!" she joked, her joyful laugh causing San to stare blankly, shocked.

"You... don't mind? I mean, you're not upset that—"

"Honey, all I care about is that you're happy. If your happiness is dating him, then who am I to stop you?"

San felt a swell of relief in his chest.

"I... are you sure, mom?" he said, feeling himself choke up.

"San, baby, I love you. You know that, right?" she said. At those words he felt himself tear up. He wasn't sure whether it was the pointless years of hiding, afraid of their reaction, or the sudden acceptance that got to him.

"I... love you too," San managed to say, taking deep breaths as to calm his emotions.

"So when can I meet him?" his mom said in a playful tone, causing San to laugh incredulously.

"You can meet him when you come back. I think you'll love him," San said, quietly reaching up to wipe the sudden happy tears off of his cheek with his sleeve.

"I know I will. I should go, it's late over there," she said, sensing it was time to end the call.

San murmured in agreement, not able to find his voice at the moment with his now shallow breathing.

"Bye, love you," she said, her tone comforting.

"Love you too, bye mom," San said with all of his willpower.

The click of her hanging up came softly.

San tossed his phone to the side, using both hands now in a futile attempt to dry the warm tear-streaks adorning his face.

A wide smile on his expression stayed put, signaling the true elation he felt at the moment.

Indeed, it had been years since San had cried tears of joy.