31

[Chapter trigger warning: Homophobia and slur usage.]
-

The bed in Wooyoung's room found itself with two occupants that evening.

Wooyoung sat up against the headboard, using his phone quietly. Leaning against him one could see a certain blonde haired boy, lightly drumming his fingers on the other's thigh.

A soft blanket which San recalled as the one from their first movie night lay draped over the both of them, reminding them both of pleasant memories. He wished he could keep this feeling for the rest of his life.

"Hey Woo?" San spoke softly.

"Hm?" Wooyoung returned, not taking his eyes off of his phone screen.

"Do you have... anyone you're interested in right now?"

Wooyoung's face went completely blank, the boy shutting off his phone and setting it down. The air, at that moment, was thick with tension.

"Uh... why?" was all Wooyoung said. San began drawing light circles with his finger on Wooyoung's thigh. The latter noticed this, staring at the other boy because of it.

San shrugged. "No reason," he said. As his head was already resting on Wooyoung's shoulder, he simply turned a bit, nuzzling into the crook of Wooyoung's neck. Although San couldn't see it, a sort of joyful half smile appeared on the younger's face.

Wooyoung had only just opened his mouth to say something when the soft noise of a lock clicking resounded.

Wooyoung, seemingly panicked, looked over as his bedroom door swung open, a rather tall woman standing in its opening.

"I... Mom?!" was all he said. At this, San immediately sat up, pulling himself away from the younger boy and their rather close position. Upon making direct eye contact with Wooyoung's mother, San felt a fear instill itself in his body.

He glanced at Wooyoung, next to him, who seemed intensely shaken. The boy seemed as if the life had been drained from within him, a fear like no other present in his eyes.

The woman remained with an eerily calm gaze, despite the sudden cold look in her eyes.

"Wooyoung. Come talk to me outside. Now," she demanded, her voice stern, suggesting that any disobedience would have consequences.

Wooyoung, remaining still for a few seconds to process the order, began reluctantly getting up, his movement a bit shaky.
He followed his mom out of the door looking like a kicked puppy.

As soon as the door shut, San found himself alone in the room with his scattered thoughts. He found himself just as panicked as Wooyoung had looked.

Was this his fault? San instantly regretted encouraging Wooyoung to invite him over. If he hadn't been so lovesick and rushed, maybe this situation could have been avoided.

The sound of loud voices grabbed San's attention. He glanced towards the door to the hallway, hearing the yelling increase in intensity behind it.

On instinct he stood up, making his way over to the door. The words were muffled by the thick walls, and San pressed up against the door in order to hear what was being said.
He didn't care if this was considered eavesdropping at the moment; he felt as if this situation definitely allowed it.

After a moment or two of continued yelling, a strange quiet settled in. San tried to listen closer, confused at the pause.

And then— a deafening smack. A sound followed by a heavy silence.

Something about this made a great worry wash over San, and before he could even think what he was doing, he found himself opening the door, peeking out of it.

He took in the view of the mother, standing dauntingly in the hallway, giving a stare dripping with fury to her son.
Wooyoung could be seen leaning back against a wall, holding a hand to the side of his face as he looked towards his mother, the terror in his eyes only heightening as she stepped towards him.

As if it was in his nature, San stepped out of the room and directly into the scene. He roughly shoved the woman to the side without hesitation, clearly startling her at the turn of events.

"And who the fuck are you?" the woman yelled. San didn't answer at the moment, instead looking back at Wooyoung, who he now stood in front of, conveniently between the boy and his mother.

"The hell do you think you're doing?" the mother said, narrowing her eyes at the two. Wooyoung took the opportunity to huddle behind San, making himself as unnoticeable as possible.

"I'm sorry I won't let you stand here and beat your son," San snapped back, only seeing the anger on her face boil.

"He needs this! I will not stand for this- this sin against nature in my child!" she stated, San merely giving her a look of judgement.

San felt Wooyoung lightly tug on the hem of his shirt. "San... she won't listen. It's okay," Wooyoung said meekly as San turned around to glance at him. Somehow this made him only feel more pissed off.

He reached back, taking Wooyoung's hand in his and squeezing it. The mother, seeing this action, furrowed her eyebrows, sending a look of hatred towards the blonde boy.

"What, are you one of them too?" she scoffed, as if in disbelief at what she was seeing.

"So what if I am?" San retorted. He thought he saw a look of surprise on Wooyoung in his peripheral vision, but ignored it at the moment.

"Listen. I want you to leave this place. I'm doing this because I love my son. He needs help to be normal," came the reply, a scarily serious tone in her voice.

San laughed, incredulous. "You love him? No, I love him. What you're doing only causes him pain."

The air fell silent. San felt the shocked gazes of both in the room laid upon him; although both were likely for different reasons.

His mother was the first to speak.

"You fucking queer. Get the hell out of my house," she ordered, pointing at the stairs behind her.

"Gladly," San said, beginning to walk away from her, Wooyoung still somewhat hiding behind him.

"He stays here!" she snapped upon seeing her son follow along with the other boy. San turned, giving her a steely look.

"No. He's coming with me, actually," San smiled at her, before turning and quickly hurrying off, the other boy in tow.

She stared at the two as they disappeared down the stairs, seething. Knowing she couldn't do anything to stop them, she merely stomped her foot in frustration.

The boys, meanwhile, hurried towards the front of the house, fumbling to open the door after reaching the entranceway. The lock came undone, and both dashed out into the night air.

"Fuck, I didn't realize it was this late," San commented, seeing the darkened area around them illuminated by the streetlights lining the sidewalk.

Wooyoung seemed oddly silent. He clutched onto San's hand as they walked— an action quite familiar to them pair by now, yet at the moment held a different feeling to it.

"Where are we going?" Wooyoung inquired, San not having specified yet.

"My place. Is that okay?" he answered, the other nodding in confirmation.

Despite the leftover adrenaline, tension, and rushed escape still present in their minds, a sort of peace washed over the pair.

It felt as if they knew they would be okay, as long as they had the other.