Chapter Nineteen

"Connor!" Gavin screamed out. Hank stared down into the he, stricken by fear.

At first, the only response that was given was howls, rumbles and the sound of machinery. Then Connor gasped loudly and he grabbed onto the ladder. Seeing that he wasn't torn to shreds thoroughly relieved Gavin.

He quickly climbed up the ladder and slammed the trapdoor shut behind him, leaving the screeching echoes behind him.

"Connor, holy fuck, are you okay!?" Hank asked. He seemed utterly and deeply concerned, and Gavin remembered the bond that they had formed.

"Yes, I'm fine. They didn't pierce my body or anything, surprisingly. What I am made of must simply be strong enough to fend off that bunch when they are not trying. I suspect they may not be as strong as other android mutants."

"As long as you're okay," Hank said.

"What's the plan now?" Gavin asked.

"We have to find an empty house to stay at for at least tonight," Hank said. "Let's go. I see androids."

Gavin looked up and saw a few normal androids walking down the street. He got up onto his feet. Hank pointed towards a run-down home and began to make his way towards it, followed by Connor who was supporting a limping Gavin.

They snuck through a few yards before Hank went out into the backyard of the run down house. 

"You should check it out. You're the only unwounded one," Hank said to Connor, who nodded. Hank and Gavin sat down outside in the backyard as Connor went on forward.

Connor crept inside and looked around - there was no traces of activity, and there hadn't seemed to be for a while. He looked around and he found a bedroom with two single beds - perfect for him to watch over and care for Gavin and Hank.

Connor left the house and went back to the humans. "We can go inside, the home is abandoned," he reported. "I'll help you, Gavin."

Connor helped Gavin onto his feet. Gavin still had a burning sensation ripping throughout his body from the attack. His hand was lightly gripping his machete, which Connor took from him and placed into Gavin's backpack.

Connor supported Gavin inside of the house, and Hank trailed close behind. He closed the back door behind them and followed Connor and Gavin to the bedroom. Connor helped Gavin settle down into one of the beds, and Hank sat on the other bed.

"I'll look around for useful items," Connor said. He started by looking through the wardrobe - which had some clothes that would more or less fit both Gavin and Hank. He took out a few shirts and pants and lay them on the ground. 

"I found some clothes. I can help you change, if you wish," Connor said.

"I'm fine," Gavin said. "I'll change when I feel better. Anyways, I'd only let Nines change me."

"Okay, Gavin."

Connor left the room and walked around the house. He found the kitchen which had some food which was still in date, along with grossly rotten food - particularly in the fridge. He didn't know why his kind hadn't just done up every house, instead of combining living spaces and ignoring perfectly good structures. Then again, in some areas houses were completely obliterated. Connor turned on the tap, and clean water poured from it. He made two glasses of water and spread out in-date crackers on a plate that he had found in a cupboard.

He then kept looking. He found the bathroom which had soaps and shampoos, and a fully stocked first aid kit. Connor knew that this would certainly come to good use.