Fight or Flight

The light in the bathroom flickered momentarily then suddenly went out, followed by a loud, shrill shriek of agony in the distance and a shuffle from where Kokichi was laying as he suddenly sat up.

"Saihara!?" he called out.

"I'm here. What happened?" he responded, staying calm to avoid scaring Kokichi any more than he already was.

"I don't know. I'm just gonna go turn the light back on real quick," he said, getting up and feeling his way around the dark.

Click, click. It started slowly, but quickly became rapid and the uneasiness the male felt could be heard in the pace of the flipping switch. Click, click, click, click, click.

"Sai-chan. It's not working," Kokichi declared fearfully.

"Let me see." He got up and made his way to the other male and realized that he was telling the truth.

"Well?" he questioned.

"Well what?"

"I don't know. You're the detective here, not me."

"Let's see, . . . I heard someone. You did too, right?"

"No, I didn't hear the shriek that sounded like a dying fucking cat. Did you?"

"Well, I'll go find out who it was and fix this alright. Do you want to stay here or go with?"

"I am not staying here all alone," he said grabbing onto his roommate's arm.

"Alright, then let's go." The lack of light shielded his face, but Shuichi was now smiling brightly and his face burned slightly.

. . .

After a generous amount of time had passed of them wandering around in the dark, Kokichi clutching Shuichi's arm in fear of the thunder that continued to growl outside, their eyes finally adjusted somewhat and they ended up outside Miu's lab, where Shuichi had reason to believe the scream had originated from.

Kokichi trembled at Shuichi's side as the bluette pushed on the door carefully. It creaked open slowly, like in a scary movie, and inside they could see someone's figure rushing around busily.

"Hey, Irima. Is that you?" Shuichi asked.

"No shit, Sherlock," she yelled from behind a stack of parts and excess debris from other various projects she'd done work on in the past.

"What happened?"

"It's MIBAIR," the inventor explained, standing back up and facing him, or at least as well as she could, obviously not being entirely used to the darkness yet. "I think I broke her."

"What? How?"

"I was trying to give her a jump start and I guess she blew a fuse or short circuited or something. My poor baby."

"Oh yeah. You're 'poor baby.' What about the fucking lights?" Kokichi interrupted.

"Oh, you're here." She sounded much less than pleased with this new information.

"Oh, you're here?"

"Guys, calm down. I just want to know what happened and how long it'll take to fix so I can go back to bed." Shuichi said trying to prevent, or at the very least push out another fight.

"Well, I'll have to make a whole new mother fucking prototype and I have absolutely zero interest in fixing your lights until she's up and running again, so might as well just head back now." And with that she turned away and began sifting for parts in a new pile in the corner of the room.

"Well," Shuichi began as they made their way back to the room, "it can't really be that long. So we should be alright."

"Yeah," he mumbled under his breath. "If you say so."

. . .

The walk back was much easier and shorter because their sight was adapted better and they could see where they were and what was in front of and around them, but the thunder continued to roll just beyond the walls of the high school, coming closer and closer, causing the purple haired male to hold on tightly the other.

Shuichi, now aware of Kokichi's fear, decided it'd be best to tuck him in before laying down and closing his eyes once more.

The night wasn't nearly as quiet as recent ones had been and he found it difficult to finally fall asleep for a while, tossing and turning for several minutes.

He was just finally getting settled down when something moved beside him and his eyes shot wide open, bringing him face to face with the Ultimate Supreme Leader.

"Hey?" he said questioningly.

"H- hey?" he'd stuttered, which was highly unusual for him. "Um, . . . C- could I sleep down here with you, . . . please. I- it's just for tonight. I promise. I'll keep to myself and I won't be any troubl- huh?"

"Shhh. Just go to sleep," Shuichi had pulled him down next to him and now held him close, petting his hair gently. "And it's alright. You're not a problem. Not to me."

Kokichi blushed for a short bit at his comment, letting it sink in, before a loud crack of thunder burst outside somewhere and he buried his head quickly in the other's chest, grasping desperately on to his shirt.

The taller of the two smiled softly down at him and pulled the covers over them, shifting a bit so that they could both be comfortable.

"Hey, Ouma?"

"Hmm?" he said curiously, looking up to meet the bluette's amber eyes.

"Sweet dreams," he whispered. Them he leaned over, brushing the hair out of his face, and planted a soft kiss on his forehead.

"I- I- Goodnight, Saihara-chan," he replied, obviously flustered, but smiling happily.

He tensed up every once and a while, when the thunder growled loudly, but after a few times of this he grew comfortable and relaxed in Shuichi's arms. Eventually the two fell asleep and the night was peaceful once again. And nothing else mattered.

It was just the two of them.

Together

So, I just wanted to remind you guys that you are all so amazing. I checked recently and this fic's hit 1k reads already. Thank you all so much. That's partially why I made two chapters this time instead of just one like usual aside from the fact that I was just bored.