Oops

Once Shuichi'd stopped crying as much, which was a while lot longer than he'd ever care to admit to, he stood and caught a glimpse of the note the violette had left on the table for him. He walked over to it and read it, tears threatening to pour out from his eyes again.

A pen was set beside the note and the blue haired male grabbed it to write a quick message back to him, though he'd never get to read it. It's their thing now, or it was; Kokichi loved him, but Shuichi loved him more.

He couldn't find space on the front so he flipped the paper over, but the other had already beaten him to it, because in his handwriting another short note was scribbled out to say: Well, I love you mostest, Sai-chan. :)

It wasn't fair. None of this was. None of them deserved this. It felt selfish to think that way, but it was true.

Shuichi ended up putting the rest of his clothes on, but didn't bother trying to dry his hair fully, it didn't matter much anymore anyways. He couldn't bear the thought of leaving the other behind to be forever trapped in the killing game to slowly be forgotten, though. So, after cleaning him up a bit he picked him up carefully and began walking down the corridor with him cradled in the tallers arms towards what he could only hope was an escape.

And just when he'd thought it couldn't get much worse he saw it: a huge array of screens that showed all of the rooms and who was in them still. But what made it even worse was that next to it was a long list of the students names and faces next to their partners' and several of them were crossed out.

They really did it. They'd killed each other to escape.

His heart dropped even lower than it already was at the sight of all this information. Almost half of his friends were dead now. How could it have gotten this bad so fast? But mostly Shuichi wondered who the mastermind behind it all could be and why they'd do this to their friends.

He couldn't make himself accept that they were all gone. The people he'd grown to care about so much. The ones who were right there with him through all of this.

"It's gonna be alright, Ouma," he said aloud to no one. "I'm gonna get you out of here."

The smaller male didn't even twitch in the arms of the other.

He smiled sadly down at him and then continued walking. He passed various doors and traveled down several long halls that made the academy feel like a large, endless, and ever changing labyrinth. Until he finally found it: the exit.

The way out was a huge set of double doors like the ones he'd seen before he stepped on campus that first time all that time ago. It was the entrance to the school. To the hell they'd all been so excited for before they'd seen it's true colors.

But now they were free.

Shuichi walked up to the doors and turned to push them open with his shoulder, but they were too heavy for him to open by himself and he eventually gave up and sat down in front of them, never letting go of Kokichi.

After a while it got late and Shuichi hadn't seen any signs of Monokuma or any of the other students. There was no one and nothing. It was empty, almost as if the academy had decided to lay down to rest for a while and completely give up on keeping everyone inside alive. Like someone had just hit 'pause.'

The detective grew tired and made up his mind to wait until morning to try the doors again to see if they'd open then, maybe he was just weak from crying and carrying Kokichi. So he closed his eyes. And he slept.

. . .

The next morning, Shuichi awoke and found himself still sitting in front of the large double doors. It was after the fifth day so he wouldn't receive any meals, but he was ready to escape. He wanted to get out and get as far away from there as he could. Not just for himself, but for Kokichi, too.

It was then that he realized that the small purple haired male was gone. He'd completely vanished while the detective was sleeping. No where to be seen.

"Ouma?" He whispered it at first, but then he got scared and began calling out his name more loudly, though he knew how useless his actions were. "Ouma!? Monokuma! What did you do with him!?"

Then out of the corner of his eye he spotted a trail of blood leading down the hall and the detective decided to follow it. Come on Shuichi, he thought to himself, What happened? You're the detective, right? Come on.

The trail ended not to far down the corridor and Shuichi went to turn back around to see if he'd missed anything, but when he did something jumped out in front of him, startling the detective and making him jump into a fight or flight mode.

All of a sudden Shuichi had grabbed it and punched it as hard as he humanly could. But as it turns out, 'it' was actually a 'he.' And 'he' was Kokichi.

"Aahhh, fuck! Shit, that hurts!" He exclaimed bending over to catch the blood that was now pouring from his bleeding nose.

"Ouma!" Then he pulled the shorter into a tight embrace.

"Oh, yeah. Hi."

"What the fuck happened? You- I thought that- But how did . . . ?"

"Oops," he replied lamely, wiping his face on the hem of his shirt. "I guess it was just a lie, nishishi."

"You scared me."

"Sorry, Shu. I had to make it believable, it was so the plan would work, nothing personal."

"Just . . . don't ever do that to me again, alright? Promise me. Okay? Promise." He had never felt so many emotions at once. He was happy to see him alive and alright, for the most part. He was upset that he wasn't told that all this would happen, that he was never even hurt. Relieved that he was safe. Just everything all at once.

"I promise," he smiled. "But who knows? I am a liar after all."