An Explanation

"What's going on?" Ryoma asked, but he was clearly uninterested in what was happening.

"It's nothing," Shuichi said, brushing it off, not wanting to get into it and change anyone's views of their friend. Not even after all she'd put him through, he didn't think she deserved it. "It doesn't matter."

"Yeah, she's just jealous," Kokichi said, trying to help him out.

"Jealous," Kiibo asked. "Of what?"

"Oh, that's right," he joked, "robots can't understand human feelings, huh?"

"Hey, that's robophobic!"

"Of what, if you happen to know as you appear to," Kirumi repeated.

"Wel-" the detective tried to explain vaguely.

"Of me, of course," the violette cut in, leaning back in his seat, appearing very pleased with himself.

"You!? Who would ever be jealous of you!?" Tenko wondered aloud. "But more importantly, why?"

"'Cause I have the world's greatest boyfriend," he explained, unable to keep from grinning happily at just the thought.

"I knew it," Miu cackled. "Damn, you gay little shit."

"Uh, Gonta wants to know who Ouma is talking about." And everyone else seemed suddenly quite interested as well. Everyone except for Kaito, Rantaro, and Miu who already knew, that is.

"Shumai, duh. Who else?" Then he scooted closer and snuggled against his arm, resting his head on the taller's shoulder.

"What!? Saihara, are you really gonna let him use you to lie to us like that!?" Tenko asked loudly. "I mean that's not proof anyways, right? Yumeno lays with me all the time when she's tired and we aren't together."

"Chabishira!" the red haired mage yelled turning away and hiding beneath the brim of her hat.

"Whatever," the leader shrugged the new information off casually. "I don't care If you believe me or not. You asked for the truth. And that's it."

"Is it really, Saihara?" Tsumugi asked.

"I- it is," Shuichi confirmed, blushing furiously, nervous about how they'd all react. "Everything he's said is true. We've been together for a while now, and Akamatsu . . . Well, she doesn't really like that I'm with someone else."

After he'd explained what was going on a bit more, he waited for a moment in silence as everyone around him was letting his words sink in.

"Well," Angie suddenly spoke up, "Atua believes that Saihara should do whatever makes him happy. And I agree. So as long as you are both happy, Atua and I will continue to support you. No matter what." And to his delight, everyone else agreed as well.

And after all that was settled the rest of them all left together and went to head home. Kokichi had run up to annoy the others, Shuichi close behind them, but when he went to leave the cafe Rantaro pulled him aside descretely, still walking but trying not to make it obvious they were talking.

"A- Amami? What's wrong?"

"It's okay, Saihara. I just wanted to relay a message. No worries."

"Message?"

"Yeah, from Akamatsu. She knew you wouldn't want to talk to her about it in person, but she wants to meet you somewhere later tonight."

"Where?"

"Dunno, she said you would. Anyways, that's all I got. And by the way, if you ever need me for anything, let me know, okay? If something happens between you two, I don't want you to have to feel alone about it. I'll come pick you up if you need. Take you back to your place."

"Oh, I shouldn't ne-"

"I know. And I hate to feel like I should have to offer, but just in case. None of us would want you to get hurt."

"Okay, thanks."

"No problem," he smiled walking ahead with the others.

Shuichi stayed back and suddenly stopped when he felt something in his pocket. He pulled it out and saw that it was a small piece of paper with Rantaro's name and phone number on it.

Just in case he thought, putting it back carefully. I wish it wasn't like that.

. . .

"Akamatsu?" the detective asked as he knocked on her door later that evening at her house, walking in.

"Hey," she responded, turning to face him. Kokichi had stayed at their house while he had gone to meet up with Kaede at hers. "I've been waiting for you."

"I, uh, . . . Yeah." He still wasn't quite comfortable after everything she'd done, but he figured he should try to talk with her anyways, gripping onto the note still in his jacket pocket. "So, what did you want to talk to me about?"

"I- well," she said, choosing her words carefully. "I just, . . . Saihara, I wanted to apologize. For . . . for everything really. All the things I did, the stuff I said. I didn't mean to hurt you like that. And I'm just, . . . sorry I did that to you, put you through all that. I'm just, so, so, sorry," she continued, tears slowly beginning to spill from her sad eyes. "And I don't expect you to forgive me. I wouldn't expect that from anyone, especially after everything else, but I wanted you to know that I am sorry. And if I could take it all back . . . believe me . . . I would. You deserve to be happy. And I can't believe I didn't realise that until now. And I've decided that I don't care anymore. I don't care who you're with or what you do with them . . . Because it's none of my business. I'm sorry."

"I- Akamatsu?" He asked cautiously, holding the note a little less tightly in his hand. "Do you really mean all that?"

"Yes," she cried. "Every word."

"Well, . . . If that's really true . . ." he thought aloud.

"Yes?" she sniffled quietly.

"Then I'll forgive you."

"Y- you . . . You'll forgive me? After all the things I've done to hurt you? To hurt Ouma? But you . . . you'll forgive me?"

"Yes, I will. And . . . I hope that we can be friends again, soon."

"Of course. I would love to." She seemed genuine about everything she was saying, but he couldn't be too sure. But she didn't try to force him into a hug or make him comfort her either. And he wanted to believe that she had changed. Or that she was at the very least trying to.

He didn't say anything else, just smiled briefly at her, before wishing her well and heading back home, saying goodbye to her parents on the away out as well.

He really hoped that she was telling the truth, though. He wanted it to be real. To be able to trust her again. But . . . he was still worried. He wasn't sure if this was just the start of something bad happening again. And he really hoped it wasn't.