Feelings Are Weird

Right around the time the late-morning sun would normally be pouring in through the windows, which the academy they were trapped in unfortunately lacked, Kokichi woke up to find himself still on the floor with Shuichi.

The blue haired male was on his back, arms raised out above his face, holding the book the other had found for him, while he layed on his chest with the upper half of his body and one leg draped over both of his. (More or less the picture I used for the last chapter.)

"Good morning," he softly spoke looking down to meet the smaller's vibrant violet eyes as he woke, smiling sweetly.

"Oh, sorry," Kokichi replied, sitting up so he could get off of the other.

"No, it's alright," he explained, quickly sitting up. I actually . . . Well, . . . I kinda liked it." He whispered the last part and grabbed his hat from the side table, putting it on to cover his now burning face.

"You . . . ?" The shorter was momentarily flustered, but he speedily recovered. "So?"

"So what?"

"So Irima wasn't lying," he teased slyly.

"About wha- oh, that. W- well, . . ." The violette was sitting in his lap, having not moved by the time he'd sat up to stop him, and it became quite difficult to cover his blush from him.

"Well?"

"I mean, she was . . . The thing is . . . I never actually told her anything and I'm sure she just saw and used it as a joke . . ."

"But?"

"But . . .," He lifted his hat slightly, just enough to swallow before continuing, avoiding eye contact and biting at his lower lip nervously. "But she was right."

"Wait, what?"

"I said 'she was right.'" he repeated a little less shyly. "Irima was right. I . . . I do like you. As . . . you know . . . more than a friend."

"I . . ." For the first time in a long time, the Supreme Leader was speechless.

"Come on, Ouma. Say something. Please. You're making me nervous all over again."

"You . . . have a crush on me?"

"Yes," he whispered. "Yes! Ouma, I like you. I like you a lot." This time he spoke louder and with more confidence and smiled, but the shorter was still stunned, sitting on his lap wide-eyed. "So . . . now you know what I want. What do you want?"

"I want . . ." he began, tipping Shuichi's head up, moving his hat, and brushing the hair from his eyes. He couldn't seem to find the words to finish, though. Instead, he leaned forward until their faces were only a few inches apart.

He leaned closer slowly, but of course at that same moment there was a knock from the door across the room.

Kokichi sighed and got up reluctantly, making his way to the door. "IRUMA! I AM GOING TO FUCKING KILL YOU! WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT YOU CUM DUMPSTER BITC- oh."

He opened the door and Shuichi couldn't see who it was, but knew without looking when they spoke.

"Is this a bad time?"

"Kiiboy. Um, what a surprise? What are you doing here?" he asked apologetically.

"I was just going to tell you guys that breakfast is ready," he said. "A few of us noticed you weren't there yet and thought you'd like to eat while food's still warm."

"Oh, alright."

"Thank you Kiibo!" Shuichi called to him.

"Uh, no problem." He smiled, turning to leave as Kokichi closed the door behind him.

"Well," he said after a short pause, "that was interesting."

. . .

The two went most of the rest of the day without bringing up what had happened that morning, and no one else knew so no one asked. This caused a strange sensation of awkwardness to hang over them, but they tried their best to ignore it and act natural.

And although they stayed relevantly quiet around one another during the hours that followed, thoughts of the other swarmed through each of their minds, now more than ever.

Shuichi, having been the one to confess, was afraid that his roommate was just avoiding the incident because he didn't feel the same way about him and he didn't want to be rude.

On the other hand, Kokichi was sceptical about saying anything because he'd assumed that it'd be weird again, after what happened last time, and he didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable.

And so they both decided to keep quiet.

. . .

Later that afternoon they were in the cafeteria at one of the tables, seated quietly. Shuichi was reading and Kokichi sat near him, sipping a grape flavored Panta every now and then. The latter tried not to look up at the other while he stared down at the pages.

The change of scenery was nice, but the area felt so open and vacant to the violette with nothing to think about but his . . . friend.

"Is it good?" he finally asked, breaking the silence.

"Oh, uh, yeah," he responded politely. "Thanks again for finding it for me."

"Of course. No problem." He stood up from the table and walked over to the fridge to get another drink, leaning against the wall while he opened it and taking a sip before moving back over to where the other male was sitting.

"So, um, . . . It's almost over."

"What is?" Kokichi questioned curiously.

"The, uh, . . . the roommate thing. You know, the pairings. So you'll have your room back."

"I suppose."

"Hey? Are you alright? You seem off?"

"And you think that you don't?"

"I . . . Listen, I know that . . . well, you-know-what . . . it was kinda sudden and I get it. I'm not asking you to feel the same way about me. And I can accept that you don't. Really. It's fine, Ouma."

"No, it's not that. I . . . I just . . . It's not you. I promise."

Shuichi sighed, "Well, I'm gonna head back the room and take a shower. I'll see you later."

He got up, gathering his things, and made his way out of the cafeteria, leaving Kokichi there. He drank the rest of his drink and then, he too, made his way towards their room.

He couldn't just be weird about the situation forever he thought to himself. He had to say something. Or else Shuichi'd continue to think it was him.

God, why does everything have to be so complicated?