On The Run

The four of them, Shuichi, Kokichi, Kiibo, and Kaede, were now all working on getting all the doors unlocked and gathering more and more of their fellow students. And after a few minutes of work and 'thank you's' and whatnot, they were all freed.

"Is everyone alright? We're all here and uninjured?" Kirumi questions, checking in on everyone.

". . . 12, 13, 14, 15, and I make 16."

"Whatcha doin', Shumai?"

"Ahh! Oh, just counting. Were all here. No one was hurt. Can you believe it?"

"I know, it's crazy, right?"

"Definitely. But I'm glad. And you," he said, turning to the shorter, "thank you."

"What for?"

"For never letting me lose hope. I love you."

"I love you more." With that he lead the bluette with him around the corner of the hallway and pulled him down towards him, their lips colliding firmly, and bringing their bodies closer to each other.

This lasted for a few moments before they pulled away from one another, Shuichi touching his forehead to the other's and looking into his eyes, grinning brightly before grabbing his hand and leading them back to the group before anyone could become suspicious.

"Excuse me!" Shuichi called out to get everyone's attention. "Everyone, listen up, please! Kokichi and I met with an officer when we escaped, seeking help, before returning here! He gave us some money, so we should be able to book a few hotel rooms for tonight! Food will probably be stashed in the kitchen, so we should bring as much of that with us as we can! And those of you in need of food can eat there!"

Everyone agreed and they all headed for the kitchen to eat whatever amazing meal Kirumi would decide to make, save for a few that went around to gather other necessary supplies they might need and a couple that went to wash up the blood from opening the doors.

. . .

After everyone had done what they needed to, they all met at the front doors to the school, all taking deep breaths before exiting.

It was late when they all stepped outside. It was late and cold. The students being engulfed by the chilly night air they were met with in the dark outside now stood beneath a blanket of stars.

"Wow," they all seemed to say quietly, muttering things like 'it's beautiful' and 'it seems like forever since I last saw a night like this'. And it was true. It was a lovely night and none of them had really been able to see one since before they were imprisoned, their memories of before that time, nonexistent. And what little some of them had was blurry.

There wasn't much time to dwell on matters such as that now, though. They had to find someplace safe to stay for the night. Tomorrow th hey would sort out who had any family closely, if any of them could remember them that is. It seemed like there wasn't anyone out there that would. But it gave them hope that it was possible. And hope was all they had right then. In that moment. So they kept moving.

. . .

They all walked for a while, but they eventually found a cheap hotel where they all were able to check in to a few different rooms and spent the night there. It was arranged so that the girl's all shared a room and the boys arranged to have the one next door.

The officer had given him quite a sum of money, but they were trying to save what they could of it in case a time came when they needed a larger amount.

Everything seemed to be going pretty smoothly so far. It was about eleven thirty or forty when Shuichi realizes that everyone else had gone to sleep, but he remained wide awake. He was worried to close his eyes. It was like if he did, when he opened them again they'd all be back at the academy.

The insomnia nagged at him, stirring unnecessary fear in his mind. And he couldn't get it to go away.

It was dark all throughout the room, everyone else was snoring softly, the only noise coming from soft shuffles whenever someone moved. That and the thoughts that all swam through his mind like fish in a crowded tank.

They'd finally escaped that awful place, but Shinichi couldn't keep away the feeling that something bad was going to happen to them. It was probably nothing to worry about, so he decided to try to get some sleep.

He rolled over to lay on his other side, facing towards the door and he was met with two bright violet eyes staring back at him.

"Hey, Shu. How are you feeling?"

He was startled at first, but not for long, responding with a simple, "What do you mean?"

"You seemed pretty worried for a while there," Kokichi explained. "I just wanted to make sure. You're alright, though?"

"I . . . Uh, yeah."

"You sure?"

"Mm-hmm."

"Really? 'Cause you don't seem sure. You seem nervous."

"No, I'm alright, really."

"Mm-kay. Just promise me something."

"What's that?"

"I want you to promise that you'll tell me if whatever it is that's bothering you gets too bad. If it ever gets to feeling like it's too much, I want you to talk to me about it. I don't want you to have to deal with this stuff all on your own. Because you have me. And I'm here to help. You promise?"

"I promise," he agreed, leaning closer to cuddle him, his arms wrapped lovingly around the other.

"Good," the shorter male replied, hugging him back and kissing him softly, smiling before they both closed their eyes and fell asleep in one another's arms. They didn't even care if the other's saw when they woke up the next day. Or if anyone would judge them for it. None of that mattered. Because it was just them in that moment.

And no one and nothing could ruin that. Not for either of them. Not ever.