31

Now that Nagisa knew of the truth, it was all the more conflicting to even think of assassinating their teacher. Their teacher who had gone through so many things, kept his dark past to himself with that stupidly wide grin. It made Nagisa rethink if that grin was even genuine anymore. Could a person still live after so many losses? Smile like Koro-sensei always does and keep up that bright facade?

The few days before winter vacation felt so dead. There were no assassination, no liveliness and no cheer. The deadline was closing in so soon, and then suddenly this part of his past dropped upon them and they finally realized how big of a responsibility assassination really was. It wasn't just 'get a hit, kill sensei and save the world' anymore. This was about them who had been nurtured by those tentacles, always watched over by their beloved teacher and raised here in their own niche.

"Classes dismissed. Have a great winter vacation, everyone!"

Killing Koro-sensei never felt so wrong.

Surely there was another way to look at this mess, wasn't there? What had this classroom taught him? Before shooting, look for the best standpoint from where if not everyone at least the greatest number of targets could be scored. Having to kill Koro-sensei definitely wasn't the ideal choice. Nagisa wanted a new outlook.

The forest that the E-class mountain prided in had shed most of their leaves completely, leaving themselves bare for the fresh blanket of snow that was due. A branch trembled at the dry winter gale and the walking students did too as they huddled close in a group and ambled down with a contemplative look shared by everyone.

"I can't believe it," Sugino muttered, his head downcast, conflicted.

Nagisa tried a smile, "Neither can I, it's shocking, isn't it?"

And gosh was it shocking. It practically shook the base on which the E-class had formed, what were they supposed to do anymore? With how it was going, they wouldn't be able to think of killing Korosensei anymore. But even so, they wouldn't be able to get rid of the image of him being a ruthless assassin. It was such a conflicting situation.

"We should talk about something else, maybe," Okuda suggested and brought up her phone, "Kayano just messaged me right now. We should probably go to see her."

How had his life even turn out like this? Only a few months ago, he was one of the most normal boy one could search for in Japan, and suddenly he had so many things to think about. The assassination, a deadline, their teacher, his past and Kayano...

What Kayano had done could've never been accomplished by him. She was such an amazing actress and she had one resolute mind, didn't she? Once I think about something, I keep rolling with it! - she had said that once. That level of determination was praiseworthy, even if for all the wrong reasons. Though Nagisa could barely see how mature he could've been himself if he were to be in her situation.

Karma hadn't been talking to him recently, but that probably was just the shock of the utterly unexpected reveal. No matter how much he tried to cover, Karma too was surely shaken. He'd barely been himself during classes, going as far as not skipping class as much and spacing out a whole lot recently. The few times they talked were mostly about what could they do in this situation and so far, Karma didn't seem to have a clue.

"Good evening, Kayano. How have you been?" Kanzaki greeted and the 'good evening' echoed from all.

Kayano placed the book by the bed as she returned the greeting a small smile. "Good evening, everyone."

It would be wrong to go visit someone without taking something along with them, but, with Kayano's hospitalized state, their choice was limited to fruits and maybe things that would keep her occupied in the otherwise bland hospital room. Nagisa had brought fruits- apples were her all time favorite, weren't they?- and good wishes that he soon exchanged with her as the group settled into a lively conversation.