Chapter 3

2019, September 5th - thursday | 6:30 am

Aster's P.O.V.

This week has been, hands down, the less productive days of my entire career. Ever since my father and Desmond announced Harry's arrival, I've been constantly catching myself wandering about how is it gonna be to have him around again, instead of focusing on what I should be doing.

If I didn't know myself better, I would say I was actually eager for his arrival. But I'm not, I'm just curious, that's all. Last time I saw him was almost ten years ago, and he was so nice to me that afternoon, so understanding. I hold these memories with so much care, I wonder if he even remembers it, if that day was as special to him as it was to me.

Today I woke up even earlier than I usually do, and after swimming in my condo's pool, as I like to do every morning, I showered and came straight to the office, thinking that maybe this early, when no one else is around, I'll be able to concentrate enough to do what I have been postponing all week.

I mean, we are a pharmaceutical industry, we have a huge staff of chemists working 24/7, but the offices usually are completely empty till 8 am, and today it wasn't different.

After almost two hours of complete dedication and a surprising new found focus, I manage to finish reviewing everything that I was supposed to ever since Monday. My door is closed but can hear all the good mornings and how are yous coming from outside, which means people are arriving to start the day. Darting my eyes to the clock in my macbook, I realize it's almost 8:30 in the morning.

Is he late? Or he is just getting to know his staff before coming to his office?

It's probably the second option - I mean, who the hell is late for their first day at a "new" job? If the situation was reverse and I was the one being transferred to London, I would certainly arrive at least an hour early, just so I could take it all in without the interruption of the others.

I'm sure he is not late. He is probably getting to know the company's structure before coming to his temporary office.

***

I kept the entire morning at the edge of my seat, my heart going nuts every time there was a knock on my door or some kind of unusual commotion outside the office, but it was all for nothing. Harry haven't arrived yet, and by now I'm sure something happened. Maybe I understood it wrong and he is supposed to start next Thursday? I don't usually do this kind of mistakes but I'm dealing with something out of my comfort zone.

That must be it.

I have been so anxious that I decided to go out for Lunch, something I rarely do. Dismissing Ms. Jones daily invitation, I went straight to the parking floor and took my car, driving to a mall nearby the office.

I don't usually like to eat the mall's food court, but I do l to shop for new clothes, so after having a quinoa salad that was actually surprisingly good, I spent the remainder of my lunch getting two new black dresses and a beautiful black blouse to use at work.

Leaving the bags in the trunk of my car, I fix my hair and lips with a new layer of red lipstick before taking the elevator and pressing the 8th floor, going straight to my office. However, as soon as I grab the door knot, Mrs. Davis calls me, excitement written all over her face. I raise my eyebrows, waiting for whatever she wants to say.

"Mr. Styles arrived a few minutes ago" She says excitedly "He is in your office right now."

"Oh, thank you for letting me know" I give her a faltering smile, trying to ignore that my heart just skipped a beat. I wish I could just take a deep breath and prepare myself before entering the room, but I can feel Dennis and Stephanie's eyes glued to my back, as well as Mrs. Davis, and the last thing I want is to show some kind of self-doubt or anxiety. So I just straighten my posture before turning the doorknob and entering the room with decided steps that are way more confident than I'm actually feeling.