Chapter 23

Girl, tell me what you're doing on the other side

And so, just tell me what you're doing with that other guy

'Cause I ain't got patience
To slow down the bass

All your girlfriends are wasted
They need it, they chase

Face it

You want it, you crave it

Believe when I say that you'll know once you taste it

Song: Friends, by Chase Atlantic

***

2019, October, 1st - tuesday |7:30am

Aster's PO.V.:

The trip to Washington is tomorrow, which means I have a lot to do today. I'll have to leave everything as organized as possible, making sure the interns and the rest of the legal crew will have all they need till next week, so they won't contact me while I'm away.

Even though the fact Harry is coming along was as complete buzzkill, I'm still excited about the trip. After all, PTS is the biggest and most important fair of the pharmacy industry so besides a lot of networking, I'll also be able to attend a lot of lectures and presentations concerning the market and chemical process, which not only will be great for my education, but I'm also pretty sure Harry won't want to join.

I mean, I simply can't see him enjoying a three-hour long lecture about new medicine discoveries. Just saying.

Anyways, I've decided to come a little bit earlier to work, but there was an accident on Joe DiMaggio Highway, which got me stuck in a terrible traffic and seriously moody as I'm parking my car only 15 minutes before the official working hours.

So moody, I decided to come to the deli across the street from S&L and buy a vegan donut, even though it's been months since I'd last craved for sweets. And considering I already lost one entire hour of my morning stuck in traffic, I might as well just sit here and enjoy my donut, instead of taking it to go as I would usually do.

After ordering the donut and a coffee at the balcony, I turn on the high heels of my shoes, looking around to find a booth, but everything is taken. Seems like I'll have to eat at my office desk again, after all--

My eyes stops in one of the booths, my subconscious recognizing him before I realize. Abel is sitting alone, a tall cup of coffee on the table in front of him, and even though we're indoors, he is wearing sunglasses. Before I can regret the decision, I walk towards him, cleaning my throat when I'm close enough, but he doesn't look up.

"Excuse me, good morning." I try to sound cheerful, but it sounds so fake that I end up cringing. "Abel? Can I sit here with you? All the other booths are taken."

He snaps his face up, turning it towards me - I can't see his eyes behind the dark lenses of his glass. Without saying a word, he just nods, then turns his attention back to the phone in his hand.

"Thank you." I sit across him, fishing the phone from my bag so I can distract myself. Abel clearly doesn't want to talk and I'm not so friendly myself.

Five minutes of awkward silence later, the waitress brings me my order, placing it on the table between us. Thanking her, I look up to grab my donut, at the same time Abel reaches for his cup and I realize his knuckles are busted, the crimson red blood still glistening, indicating the wounds are fresh.

"That looks painful." I comment, not because I want to make conversation, but because maybe this is a good opportunity to try and find out something about whatever shady shit Harry does with him and Rickie.