Chapter 46

I want you filling my lungs and pulling me under
Tip of my tongue, it's making me wonder
Filling my lungs and pulling me under

Song: Claudia, by FINNEAS

***

Harry's P.O.V.: 

I have no idea of what they said to Aster, but by the way she is almost running out of here, I can only assume it was bad.

The moment she turned on her heels and walked away, I didn't even think twice, going after her without saying goodbye to my father or anyone else, for that matter.

Fuck, I'm even feeling kinda guilty for teasing her all night, but in my defense, I didn't imagine things would get this fucked up. I knew it wasn't going to be easy because she hates coming here, and part of all the teasing was my twisted way of trying to distract and help her turn her focus to something other than her lame excuse for a father.

The other part was just me being petty about the little party for two she had with Rickie last night.

I was angry because while they were talking, laughing, and getting high together, I was busting my arse going from place to place and trying to find more about that fucking EJ guy. Besides, I have also been trying to find out whatever I can about Maddie's death. The more I think about it, the more I dig, the shadiest it gets. I wasn't able to find any records about her death and nobody that was close to De Loutherbergh's family at the time seems to know more than my own family does. I really wanted to question my father about it, but I have a feeling deep in my guts he is not going to be honest about it. And I'm kinda afraid of involving him into this quest of mine - no one else needs to know about it.

Once we're both out of Phillip's house, I see Aster getting to my car, her beautiful face scrunched up on a grimace of pain, cheeks stained with tears. She looks so lost, standing in the front of the passenger door and waiting for me to unlock it, but instead of doing it I just circle the car, getting to her and wrapping my arms around her shoulders to pull her to a tight hug.

She doesn't show any resistance, shoving her face on my chest and hugging me back, her arms snaking around my waist to hold me snugly. Pressing my lips on the top of her head, I sniff her hair, my breath getting a bit shallower from the contact. Her shoulders move up and down while she sobs, and honestly, it breaks my heart. I want to go back inside and punch Phillip for making her cry like this.

No, scratch that. I want to grab the gun on my back, press the barrel on his forehead and pull the trigger.

That's how fucking angry I am.

"Shh, Honeybunny, it's OK." I whisper, my lips against her hairline. I have no idea if it's OK or even what it is that I'm saying is going to be OK, but fuck it, I just want to make her feel better.

"Did you... Did you listen?" She babbles, leaning her head back to face me. The tip of her nose is a little red, making it look like a tiny cherry.

How does she manage to be the sexiest woman I've ever seen in my life and also be so fucking cute at the same time?

"No." I giver her a tight-lipped smile. "But do you want me to go back there and kick his balls? Cause I would totally do it."

She snorts, her lips shaking up and down quickly as she tries to decide if she is should smile or cry. I watch her, still with a dumb smile on my face, and when the corners of her lips turn up, it's like the whole world gets brighter.

"You look so much better with a smile." I tell her without thinking, having to use all my will-power not to lean my face down and just kiss her right here and now.