Chapter 21

2019, September 27th - thursday | 9pm

Aster's PO.V.:

Black skinny jeans ripped on the knees, combat boots with high heels, long sleeved black blouse, leather jacket and a black scarf.

Thank God is chilly tonight.

Well, maybe not cold enough to keep the scarf and the jacket indoors, but that's debatable. The hickeys on my neck are still purple as fuck and the cuffs marks on my wrists are slowly turning kinda blue-ish, there's no way I'm showing any skin tonight.

Honestly, I've struggled way too much about coming for Penny's birthday dinner party, but ended up deciding to show up anyway, albeit I definitely didn't want to. Even though I don't feel the least obligated because of her, I feel like I should give in this time and do as my father wants me to. After all, he is trusting me with the whole Washington ordeal, so I kinda owe this to him.

But it didn't stop me from being late. Again.

It's like I'm physically incapable of showing up in time when it comes to coming here.

After parking my car, I take a deep breath, preparing myself to what I know it's going to be a boring ass fucking dinner. However, as soon as I step out of the car and cross the street, my eyes falls over the two security guards standing in the front door of my father's house and it strikes me. This is a Penny's party - of course she was going to make it fucking huge. There's a big neon sign shoved on the front yard, bright pink lights forming the words Penny turns 30.

30. She is fucking 30.

27 years younger than my father.

She is even younger than Maddie would be, if she was still alive. It's fucking ridiculous.

Well, but one thing I have to admit, I'm surprised she lasted so long. After my mother bailed on us, dad had a lot of fleeting girlfriends, but Penelope was the only one to stay. Gold Digger Number 3 won the golden prize. Honestly, I'm shocked she didn't got pregnant yet, that would be the final blow to assure an entire life of wealthiness without having to work a single fucking day for it.

"Name?" One of the big, wardrobe-like security guard asks, stepping between me and the door.

You have got to be kidding me.

"Aster." I say, raising my voice and fighting against the impulse to roll my eyes. I don't want to look like the bratty spoiled girl Harry is always painting me like.

"Surname?" The guy raises his eyebrows, looking at me from head to toe, clearly judging me by the way I'm dressed, which is probably way different from Penny's guests.

"Aster De Fucking Loutherbergh." There's venom dripping from my voice and even though I know I shouldn't snap with someone who is just doing their jobs, I can't help myself from adding. "Do I need to use my spare key to enter my fucking father's house?"

His expression falls instantly and he steps aside, mumbling a "I'm sorry, Ms. De Loutherbergh" before opening the door.

Not much of security, I see. Didn't even have to show him my ID.

Entering the house, I need to take another deep breath. I mean, it's been less than 20 days since the last time I was here and the walls are already painted a different color. Penelope redo all the decoration every 6 months or so, it's like she has nothing better to do with her life.

Well, now that I'm thinking about it, she probably doesn't. She doesn't have a job, so I guess her job is to spend my father's money on nonsense home improvement. Everything is decorated with pink and golden balloons, it's like Barbie had food poisoning and threw up everywhere. I wonder why my dad put up with this sort of shit.