White Clouds

"So you have chosen the Black Eagles house, led by Edelgard von Hresvelg, correct?"

Byleth had nodded, a blank look on her face. She honestly didn't care much for who she was teaching; all three of the house leaders had intrigued her.

Dimitri, with his underlying darkness.

Edelgard, with her refined attitude.

And finally, Claude, with his distrusting eyes that followed her everywhere...

Byleth would admit that Claude had piqued her interest the most. He looked so teasing and fun, but she could tell he was housing many secrets. Byleth wanted to know what he was hiding...but she also didn't want to deal with his insincere attitude.

So while he interested her, Byleth found herself choosing the well-woven group of Black Eagles. They seemed to be capable people that wouldn't try to disturb her peace.

Byleth sighed. Her and her father were practically trapped at the monastery because of Rhea's insistence. She had no choice but to deal with people her age. Byleth never really socialized; she'd been told she was merely a dead vessel by quite a lot of people. No one seemed to care about how Byleth just literally couldn't act in any other way. She wanted to emote, she wanted to laugh and cry with everyone else.

She just couldn't.

"Professor, I am rather elated that you have chosen to instruct us."

Ah. There she was. The Black Eagles house leader approached Byleth with a smile on her face. Byleth raised her hand in a greeting.

"It is my pleasure," Byleth responded monotonously. She didn't really want to talk right now; she wanted to mope about her lack of emotions more than anything. But apparently, Edelgard wanted to chat.

"You made the right decision," Edelgard placed her hands on her hips, satisfied. "I look forward to learning under you."

"Hey, who said that choosing your house was the right call?"

Claude walked up to them, the insincere smile on his face. His lazy grin never reached his emerald eyes. Edelgard sighed, rolling her eyes.

"Must you barge in on our conversation?" Edelgard asked crossly, and his grin grew wider.

"Well, I just wanted to talk to Teach over here," Claude shrugged. His dark hair was unruly and unkempt. His gaze traveled to Byleth, and he scratched the back of his neck. "Why choose the Black Eagles?"

"They seem like a class who will listen to me," Byleth responded, gesturing with her hand towards Edelgard. "They'll follow my instruction without question."

"Maybe..." Claude pondered, placing his hands behind his head nonchalantly. He winked at Byleth, smirking. "...But you, me, and Golden Deer? We could be great together."

She knew his words were empty. She knew he just wanted her for something. But even though she knew this...

She felt a very slight stir in her stone cold chest.

"I already made my decision," Byleth reminded him gently. Even though his smile waned slightly, he still tried to remain pleasant.

"I'm sure I could arrange for a change with R...Lady Rhea," Claude shrugged nonchalantly. "Wanna rethink your decision?"

"Halt, Claude. She's made her decision," Edelgard narrowed her eyes in the direction of her opposition. "Now please stop pestering us and go bother someone else."

"Last chance, Teach," Claude chuckled, amused by Edelgard's apprehension. "Wanna join the Golden Deer? I promise you a world you'll never have anywhere else."

"I already told Rhea my decision. I'm not going to go back on my word," Byleth said dismissively. He shrugged, disappointed, but he took it rather well rather than storming off like a petulant child. "...If you'll both excuse me, I'd like to have some alone time."

They both nodded, and Byleth walked away quickly. Being between the two of them had been annoying at best. There was obvious tension between the two house leaders, and Byleth didn't want anything to do with it.

Byleth made it upstairs towards the dormitories. To her surprise, her father was waiting outside of her door. When he caught sight of her, he waved.

"Hey, kid," Jeralt greeted. His face was heavily grizzled and scarred, but Byleth had never thought of her father as anything but perfect. He had raised her alone, and provided her with everything she asked for. Well, besides emotions, but what can be done about that..? "How are you?"

"I'm fine," Byleth responded shortly, and upon watching the smile fall off his face, she vowed to try harder. She knew he worried about her lack of emotion all the time, so she hurried to find something else to talk about. "I...I don't know if I chose the right house to teach."

"You chose the Black Eagles, right?" Jeralt clarified, and Byleth nodded in response. He pondered this for a moment. "Well, kid, I don't think there's a wrong house to teach. You picked it for a reason, so I'm sure everything will turn out right in the end."

"I don't even know why I chose them. But you're right," Byleth agreed. She looked up at him, straining her neck to do so. "...Do you want to go to the dining hall with me?"

"Sure. Why not?"

As the two of them began to walk over, the thought of eagles and deer slowly slipped from her mind. For a brief moment, she could just focus on her time with her father.

Yes, the day was looking peaceful indeed.