Inappropriate

Without their leader, the Golden Deer began to fall apart. Not that they weren't extremely capable, but with Byleth and Edelgard combined, the Deer didn't stand a chance. Finally, the Black Eagles were declared the winners.

Finally. Byleth felt a wave of exhilaration rush through her. She sheathed her sword as the surrendered Deer began to hobble off of the field. Edelgard was barely standing, but she was attempting to remain strong as her axe held her up. Byleth quickly rushed over, offering her shoulder.

"My teacher," Edelgard said in slight surprise as Byleth supported her weight. "You don't have to do this. I'm fine."

"I know I don't have to," Byleth shrugged, not letting go. "I'm doing it because you look like you're about to faint...and I need you awake to celebrate our victory."

A slight smile grew on Edelgard's weary face, and she grudgingly accepted Byleth's help. As the two walked off the field, the Eagles reunited with them and began to scream and jump around in joy.

"P-P-Professor, that was a-amazing!" Bernadetta stammered, glancing around as she fidgeted with her fingers. "I'm s-sorry I wasn't more useful.."

"Nonsense, Bernie! You did fine," Dorothea winked confidently. "We won in the end. That's all that matters, right?"

"Yeah! The Professor was so cool!" Caspar began to mimic Byleth's actions during the fight, and Byleth chuckled as he looked rather dorky. "She went like this, then she went like that!"

"She looked much better doing it than you," Linhardt shrugged with a deadpan look on his face. Immediately, Caspar began to argue with Linhardt playfully.

"Ferdinand, I do not think I have been seeing you so quiet before," Petra noted in a surprised tone, glancing over to the noble.

"...How could I have been outlasted by Edelgard," Ferdinand was standing dejectedly in the corner, a depressed look on his normally proud face. Byleth sort of wanted to reach over and give him a hug just for looking so sad.

"Her majesty is just superior," Hubert reminded him, chuckling darkly. Byleth was still rather creeped out by Hubert, but it was getting easier to bear being by him.

"It was a team effort," Edelgard shook her head in disagreement. She straightened herself, releasing Byleth's shoulder. "Good work, everyone."

"Yes, good work indeed," Byleth nodded, feeling a small smile form on her face. "I think we're all entitled for a feast now, shall we?"

Everyone cheered, making their way in the direction of the dining hall. Byleth was about to follow them when she felt a tap on her shoulder.

She turned around to see Claude, who had a small grin on his face despite his own defeat. His bow was still strapped to his back from the fight, and he was not surrounded by his Deer.

"Congratulations, Teach," Claude scratched the back of his neck as he greeted her. "I guess you were right."

"Sorry," Byleth shrugged, smiling back at him. How had it ever been so difficult to perform such a simple action? In his presence; smiling felt so...easy. "No hard feelings, right?"

"Course not. It's just a mock battle," Claude reminded her, chuckling. "C'mon, Teach. Let's go celebrate."

"Well, I won't complain," Byleth held out her hand to him, surprised at her own action. What are you doing? He's a student. Don't hold his hand, that's so weird!

Yeah, but...it feels so natural.

Claude accepted her hand, lacing his fingers through hers. They briefly looked at each other, looks of surprise and awe exchanged before they started to walk forward.

"S-So, Teach..." Claude seemed to be slightly more tense compared to before. "...Are you just trying to reassure me by holding my hand, or...?"

"I don't really know," Byleth confessed. "Really, I have no idea. But...uh, this is getting awkward."

Byleth released his hand, immediately feeling the sparks disappear. She awkwardly shifted from side to side, and he laughed nervously.

"It's alright, Teach," Claude reassured her gently, his cheeks slightly pink. "I enjoyed it while it lasted."

"Y-Yeah."

The rest of the walk back was awkward. They kept sneaking glances at each other when they thought the other wasn't looking. Byleth felt her hand twitching, but she forced it down.

You can't do this. He's a student. Your a teacher. That's weird.

Really weird, Sothis agreed. But it's nice to see you with emotions around him. Pity that fate works like this...

"Claude," Byleth interrupted their silence, looking at him nervously. He returned her gaze with a soft expression. "...Thank you."

"No problem, Teach," Claude smiled sincerely at her, his cheeks tinged a rosy pink. She noticed his hand reach towards hers before retracting. Strangely, Byleth found herself wishing he hadn't thought twice about it...

No. Stop talking to him, Byleth.

I know...just let me enjoy this moment.

Even if it can't last forever.