Midnight Meeting

Ten more minutes until midnight.

Byleth stood from where she'd been sitting in her desk. She looked at herself briefly in the mirror, examining her straight teal hair and blank eyes. Oh, what she would give to feel emotion about herself...she couldn't even feel anything about how she looked right now!

It was time to go, though. Byleth slipped on her boots, wrapping a black cloak around herself. After all, they were beginning to approach chillier nights as the season changed.

Byleth cautiously slipped out of her room, shutting and locking the door behind herself. She made her way down the dormitories, slipping past all of the quiet rooms. Everyone was asleep for the most part, so she was glad she didn't have to run into any trouble or anything.

Finally, Byleth made it to the greenhouse. She gingerly opened the door, peering inside. Claude was squatted in his uniform down by the flowers, a pensive look on his face as he stared at the agrarian setting.

"I'm here," Byleth said quietly, and Claude glanced over toward her. Byleth made her way over toward him as she stood. "What was so important that you couldn't tell me previously?"

"...You know how I told you about Rhea's ruthlessness?" Claude asked, and Byleth nodded. "She's always been that way. This culture pushes nobles to the lead, while everyone else is left to fend for themselves. Commoners, no matter how grand their ideals, will always be inferior."

"...So why did she choose me?" Byleth questioned, completely puzzled. Normally, she'd agree with him; from what she'd seen, nobles tended to fill Rhea's inner circle. Ferdinand's pretentious attitude emphasized how nobles were held in a higher regard...but then there was Byleth. She had been elected as a teacher for no reason. "I'm a commoner. One who hasn't even proven themself, in fact."

"You're special," Claude said simply. "There's no other explanation. You're special, but I don't know why. Rhea knows you're different...I'd watch out. She might be trying to use you."

Everyone's trying to use me, Byleth rolled her eyes at the thought. You included.

"What's the worst I could do?" Byleth frowned, crossing her arms underneath her cloak. "I'm just a mercenary, I'm still a commoner. The only thing that's special about me is my lack of emotion."

"Is that it?" Claude asked, and Byleth nodded. He furrowed his brow in concentration and confusion. "Why would she know about that, though? There's so much we're missing...Teach. You should ask your father for answers."

"My dad?" Byleth pondered the thought for a moment. "He did say I should keep an eye out for the Archbishop...Maybe he does know something."

"I'd ask him," Claude advised, pulling an arrow from his quiver and twirling the arrow. "All I know is that Fódlan's culture excludes outsiders. People from different nations, commoners..those without crests. Something has to change."

"I never knew you felt that way," Byleth mused. She had always written him off as a conniving pesterer, not someone who had dreams and ambitions. "That's a noble idea, Claude."

"Yes, it is," Claude agreed, pressing his lips together. "But first, I'm going to make you feel something. I promise I'm going to make you feel happy.."

"Thank you."

Claude knelt down again, foraging into the plants with his left hand. Byleth wondered just what he was looking for. She was actually a bit surprised he had trusted her enough to reveal his ambitions and stance on the church. He had always seemed so guarded. But recently, his smile has grown somewhat...lazier. Not in a bad way; it looked much more natural. It didn't look so forced anymore.

Huh. Claude had been the one to awaken her emotions, but perhaps Byleth was the one who he could finally let his walls down around. Maybe they were both helping each other...

Claude stood, holding something behind his back. He held his hand out, revealing an ivory flower decorated with golden pollen.

"For you, Teach," Claude said softly, a strange look his emerald eyes. Byleth wasn't sure what emotion he was feeling, but she felt her lips part in surprise.

"Really?" Byleth asked, her eyes widening. She'd never received a gift from anyone besides her father. Even then, Jeralt had always gotten her a new sword or something fighting related. It was never something sweet and simple...like a flower.

"Yeah, of course," Claude nodded, gesturing for her to take the pearly white blossom. Byleth tentatively reached out, brushing her fingers against his lightly as she took the flower by the stem.

There it was again.

A small spark as she touched him, this time in her hollow chest. Byleth held the flower with her right hand, clutching at her chest with the other. Claude looked at her, alarmed.

"Are you alright?"

"Y-Yeah," Byleth nodded, lowering her hand from her chest. "I just-I don't know. I-I...Never mind."

"Are you sure?" Claude questioned again, and Byleth nodded. He reached out again, unsatisfied with something. "Hold on, I think I have a better idea."

Claude gingerly took the flower from her hand again, and Byleth watched as he grabbed the stem without touching her hand. Now, he held it, and approached her slowly. He slid the flower into her hair, tucking it behind her ear.

"That's much better," Claude whispered, adjusting her hair slightly so that the blossom stayed in her tresses. As he skimmed his fingers upon her soft locks, Byleth felt another painful spark in her chest bloom. She winced, but managed to hide what happened. What was going on? What was that in her empty and hollow chest?

"Thank you," Byleth responded breathlessly, and he walked past her toward the exit of the greenhouse. As Claude opened the door, he winked teasingly. Did he know what was happening to her..?

"Bye, Teach. I'll see you soon."

The door shut behind him, leaving a stunned Byleth. She clutched at her chest with one hand, the other hand touching where he had brushed her hair aside.

What the hell was that?