A New Look

"My teacher...you've changed."

Edelgard was scanning Byleth with her steely lavender eyes. She frowned, noting the minty green hair and likeness to the Archbishop. Byleth could tell Edelgard didn't like it, and that upset her to a certain degree.

"No I haven't," Byleth quickly disagreed, grimacing at those words. She self-consciously ran her hands through her new silky hair. She had already been feeling bad about her new appearance, and Edelgard hadn't really helped that. "It's just my new look. I'm still the same inside..."

"I suppose so," Edelgard said tensely, but as they made eye contact, she sighed and looked away guiltily. "Sorry, my teacher. It's just that...you look like Rhea."

"...I know. But I'm not like her. I promise it's still me inside."

"...Yes. You are right," Edelgard nodded in agreement, a guilty smile on her face. "My apologies, my teacher. I suppose I have let my emotions get the better of me."

"It's alright," Byleth shrugged, playing with the ends of her hair. She already missed her teal tresses; her hair was too bright now. "I expect everyone will be suspicious of me. Don't think about it too much."

"I suppose," Edelgard grimaced, still feeling rather guilty as she had clearly upset her professor. "My teacher, I have a favor to ask of you...will you listen?"

"Of course."

"I will be crowned as Emperor this month," Edelgard revealed quietly, the steely look in her eyes returning. "Will you come with me to the coronation?"

"You truly want me there?" Byleth's eyes widened in surprise. Edelgard nodded, placing her hands on her hips. "Yes. I'd like to come."

"Grand. We will leave tomorrow then," Edelgard smiled, a slight sadness to her expression compared to usual. "I hope...I hope you will make the right decision, my teacher."

Edelgard exited the room, and Byleth watched her go. Byleth began to head to the audience chamber, knowing she had to go get her orders from the Archbishop. That woman was terrifyingly serene; just what was she planning?

Of course, however, Byleth didn't get far.

"Hey, Teach."

Byleth could feel Claude's emerald eyes on her, scanning her carefully and cautiously. Byleth sighed, frustratedly covering her face with her hands.

"Yes, I know. It's different. I know, I look like Rhea!" Byleth huffed, sick of hearing the same thing over and over again. "...Sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"I like it," Claude said softly, taking a strand of her smooth hair between his fingers. Byleth slowly dropped her hands from her face in surprise.

"Wait...really?"

"Yeah," Claude nodded, his usually calculating eyes soft and warm as they gazed over Byleth's new look. "It's different, sure...but I like it."

"Oh," Was all that Byleth could say, for she was in shock that someone actually did like it. His thumb brushed over her cheek, sending sparks through her chest. By now, Byleth was just used to their presence, but didn't quite understand what they were. "Um..Thank you. Everyone normally just says how I look like Rhea, and...ugh. I'm rambling."

"It's a good thing," Claude chuckled softly. "You weren't able to ramble before this, were you? Must always look on the positives, Teach."

"Yes...yes, you're right."

"...So...you're not leaving, are you?" Claude embraced her in a hug so that he could whisper into her ear.

"...No," Byleth responded quietly, her chest feeling like it was about to explode. He sighed in relief, hugging her tighter.

"Good."