The Flame Emperor

Professor, I don't know if this is appropriate to say, but...admirable work out there. I really believe we did all that we could."

Edelgard looked solemn about the situation in a Remire. She had been found by Hubert, much to his intense relief. Byleth sighed, clutching at her sheathed sword.

"I wish that were true."

"Jeralt said the same thing," Edelgard frowned, placing her hands on her hips crossly. "We must try to stay positive, even through the horror. I hear the so-called Flame Emperor appeared. Hubert told me you spoke with him."

"...He asked me to join forces," Byleth revealed quietly after making sure no one else was listening. She felt like her house leader had the right to know.

"Really?" Edelgard's expression hardened somewhat, her brow drawn in as a frown formed on her face. "Is that what you want, Professor?"

"I do not," Byleth responded quickly, confused. That wasn't even a real option, was it? Joining the Flame Emperor? How could she, when the Flame Emperor had ordered all those people killed? He said that it wasn't his order, but she couldn't trust him.

"That makes sense. It's hard to trust someone without knowing who they are or how they're connected to all this," Edelgard relaxed slightly. "Even if he wants you as an ally, his objectives are still unclear."

"Yeah," Byleth mumbled quietly. "He's unreliable. He just showed up trying to make war here, and we don't even know why.."

"...If the Flame Emperor truly wishes to make use of your power..." Edelgard said, looking beyond Byleth into the distance. She slowly took Byleth's hand, lacing it through her fingers gently. "....Perhaps someday he will appear before you without his mask, and you can look in his eyes and decide what you believe."

"Edel! I need to ask you something," Monica interrupted the moment again, eyeing their intertwined hands suspiciously. "Sorry...did I interrupt?"

"Oh, not at all," Edelgard disconnected their hands with a pleasant smile. "If you'll excuse me, Professor."

"No problem," Byleth told her, watching as the two walked away. Why was Monica always watching them so weirdly? She sighed, clutching the hand Edelgard had held. Why did it feel so weird? Why did she feel like this? Emotions were all so new, and they were all so confusing. Byleth didn't quite understand anything.

"Hey...Teach."

Byleth glanced up from her hands, locking eyes with the Golden Deer house leader. Claude's hair almost seemed to be more disheveled than ever, and his emerald eyes were gazing at her softly.

"Hey, Claude," Byleth replied softly, surprised that he had come around. She hadn't seen him in awhile; he hadn't come to visit her. Although, Byleth supposed she wasn't being fair. She hadn't exactly sought him out either. "Why are you here?"

"Just checking up on you," Claude shrugged, grimacing slightly. They both knew what he was referring to. "My house was assigned to another part of the village. It was awful..."

"...Yeah. It was."

"Are you...okay?" Claude questioned, eyeing Byleth as she continued to hold her hand in the other. Byleth sighed.

"...The Flame Emperor..." Byleth hesitated for a slight moment. Why was she telling Claude? He wasn't even her house leader. She knew he was using her...yet here she still was. "The Flame Emperor tried to recruit me."

"What? Seriously?" Claude gaped in shock, and he scanned her for injuries. "Are you alright? ...You said no, right?"

"I'm fine," Byleth replied, feeling her chest flutter as Claude took her hand in his, squeezing it gently. Byleth looked into his eyes cautiously. What am I getting myself into... "Of course I said no. They bring war, and chaos.."

"True. Plus, no one knows his intentions," Claude agreed, relaxing with relief. He pulled her into a hug, making her eyes widen, but he began to whisper into her ear. He was just trying to remain secretive. "But he's warring against the church. Maybe he's trying to change something.."

"Are you saying that he might have a point?"

"...Maybe," Claude whispered ominously, and then pulled away from her. He played with his cape, releasing her hand. "...Well...anyway...I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"...Well, how about you?" Byleth countered, a pointed look on her face. "You've been avoiding me lately. Did I do something wrong?"

"No! No, it wasn't you..." Claude quickly reassured her, looking somewhat wary once again. He straightened his uniform, nervously pulling an arrow out to twirl. "...No, it wasn't you."

"Then what is it?"

"It's really..nothing," Claude repeated, taking her hand in his to try and reassure himself. Byleth felt her chest spark once again, but she frowned as he squeezed her hand.

"It doesn't seem like nothing," Byleth said gently, stopping him from twirling the arrow with her other hand. "You can trust me, Claude..."

"I know I can," Claude responded quickly, shocking even himself with those words. "I've never said that to anyone before...Er..you just wouldn't understand, Teach. It's not you, anyway. Besides....this can't happen. I don't know why I came back to talking to you...I know I shouldn't."

"I don't want you to stop," Byleth blurted out impulsively. What? Byleth had always been in control of her words, and her emotions. What was she thinking? "I...um...I like it when you talk to me. Of course I do. You made me feel emotions, remember? I've never been happy before you came...do you think I can be happy without you?"

"I..I didn't think about that," Claude admitted, looking at her guiltily. He ran his thumb over her palm absentmindedly, unknowingly making shivers run down her spine. "I'm sorry, Teach. I guess I was being selfish. I just...didn't think you needed me, to be honest. I thought you would have been okay with...with her."

"Who?" Byleth furrowed her brow in further confusion. Claude gulped, swallowing the lump in his throat.

"Edelgard, who else, Teach?"

"I mean, yeah, but you're my friend too," Byleth frowned. "I mean..I thought you were. Are we not..?"

"Hm," Claude pondered this for a moment. "...I'd like to stay friends too, Teach. I'll try to...remain friends. Just friends. That's...fine, right?"

"Of course?" Byleth asked, still confused. "...Please keep helping me. I...I want to be happy. And I want to be happy with you."

"Then...Then I'll do my best to make you happy, Teach. I promise."