Epilogue

Seven years later

"My teacher, look out!"

Byleth glanced behind her, eyes wide as a ball flew toward her face. She managed to duck just in time, her minty green hair flying into her face as she did. She stood up straight, looking in the direction from where the ball had come from sternly.

"Whoops! Dad, your old professor is scaring me!" The little girl with brown hair and orange eyes whispered, hiding behind Ferdinand. Ferdinand chuckled, ruffling his child's hair affectionately.

"Fern, don't worry. She's alright."

"Yes, it's alright, I suppose," Byleth playfully rolled her eyes, before turning to Ferdinand. "Where's Dorothea?"

"Riiiiight here~" Dorothea popped up from seemingly nowhere, a smile on her beautiful face. She held Fern's hand gently, giggling. "Sorry I'm late, Professor!"

"Nonsense. We are just happy you could join us," Edelgard smiled as she walked beside Byleth, taking her hand in hers. The Emperor of the Adrestian Empire had retired her position to another new recruit, and the two had taken on to live as professors within the monastery. "Come on. Everyone else is waiting."

Edelgard, Byleth, and the happy couple with their kid made their way to the elaborately detailed Black Eagles room. Everyone was talking happily, excited for their reunion. Byleth smiled, glad to see her friends.

"Oh, Professor! You're back!" Petra exclaimed happily. Her magenta hair was braided elaborately around the side of her head. "It was a great idea to have us all meet up again!"

"Yeah, it was!" Caspar pumped his fist in the air excitedly. Linhardt shook his head, grabbing his friend's hand to get him to stop.

"It was," Linhardt agreed calmly, but a sincere smile was on his serene face. If Byleth had to guess, she would assume he had just woken up from a nap. He turned to Edelgard, a concerned look in his green eyes. "Edelgard, how have you been feeling?"

"I have been telling you for the past year, I am fine," Edelgard reassured him, a smile on her face. He was, of course, referencing how her two crests had been removed due to careful and intense study on Linhardt's behalf. "Thank you again, Linhardt."

"I-I j-just wish you h-had told us sooner!" Bernadetta sighed as Petra began to braid her hair. "I w-was worried sick!"

"My apologies," Edelgard grasped Byleth's hand tighter, tucking her long white hair behind her ear. "I completely forgot, I was so overtaken with joy."

"It's true," Hubert affirmed that with an amused but solemn look on his face. He had stayed by Edelgard's side, even she was no longer royalty. "She practically squealed-"

"What!" Edelgard turned a crimson shade of red, turning to her assistant indignantly. "No I did not!"

"I suppose it's up to interpretation, then."

"You kids are so easy to rile up," Jeralt walked through the door with a sigh, and Byleth smiled as she walked up to hug him. "Ah, Kid..."

"None of us are children anymore," Byleth pointed out, and he ruffled her green hair affectionately.  Byleth learned that though her minty hair never disappeared, the fact that her heart remained beating was more than enough to cause happiness for her. Besides, the hair was a reminder of Sothis...and Byleth didn't want to erase any reminders of the little voice inside her head. "Ah, Dad! You're messing up my hair."

"You used to love that as a kid, I don't know what happened."

The Black Eagles all continued to party, talking casually among each other. It was good to see everyone, and Byleth was grateful for the opportunity to see them all. She talked with all of them, a smile on her face at all times. She had the squad all back together for a lovely reunion, her father by her side, and Edelgard was by her side at every moment. She had found the best friend of a lifetime, a beating heart, and emotions.

The party had grown louder, with little Fern dancing in the middle. The adults began to join in, laughing together. Byleth simply rolled her eyes in playful amusement, taking the chance to sneak out. After all, dancing had never been her thing.

Byleth wandered around the monastery, unsure just where she was going to go. It was quite late at night. Byleth wasn't sure of the time, but the stars were shining brightly tonight. She walked around, eventually finding herself inside of the greenhouse.

She wasn't sure why she had gone there, but she walked around to look at the flowers. Some beautiful, white magnolias were growing, and Byleth smiled. She knelt down to feel the soft petal between her fingers when she suddenly heard the soft sound of someone's voice;

"Hey, Teach. Long time no see."

Byleth froze in shock, her lips parting as she slowly turned toward the doors. A man with chocolatey brown hair and shining emerald eyes stood in the doorway, a guilty look on his face despite his small smile.

That...Is that...?

Byleth felt herself smile as she stood. She didn't even know she was running toward him until she collapsed into his arms, hugging him in pure joy. He was finally here...After all the waiting Byleth had done, she had considered giving up hope. But she knew...she knew he would come back.

And now he was here.

"I'm sorry for taking my time," Claude whispered into her ear softly, his hand running through her soft hair. "I had to secure my place as King of Almyra."

"I'm just happy you're here," Byleth told him in satisfaction, taking in his earthy scent. A giddy, bubbly feeling was building inside of her. He always managed to awaken something inside of her, didn't he...? "I knew it...I knew you'd be back."

"Teach, I'd do anything for you," Claude promised before enveloping her in a soft kiss. She had only experienced his kiss once before, and upon experiencing it again, Byleth felt her heart race as she melted into his embrace. She closed her eyes, enjoying the movement of his lips against hers. After the kiss had ended, Claude smiled at her. "Teach, I have a promise to make."

"Which is?" Byleth asked breathlessly, holding onto him tighter. He smiled softly, supporting her in his arms as they embraced each other in the greenhouse. She let out a sound of contentment, and Claude locked eyes with her before finally revealing his promise.

"I'm not leaving you ever again. Not this time."