Assassination Ploy

The rebellion had been successfully quelled.

Apparently, there was a scroll of an assassination plot on Lonato's person. All the  students were busy patrolling the monastery, while the knights stayed close by to Rhea. Byleth almost wished they could ignore Rhea's safety. How was she supposed to care about the Archbishop enough to protect her? All Rhea had done was appointed her with a position she wasn't qualified for.

"There is just something not right about all of this," Edelgard paced back and forth in the Black Eagles classroom, their main space of congregation. Byleth looked up from her desk; for once, Edelgard wasn't accompanied by Hubert. "Why would Lord Lonato carry an assassination plan with him?"

"I don't know," Byleth shrugged, looking back over her paperwork. She was grading tests, and winced as she marked a couple of answers wrong off of Bernadetta's sheet. She hated giving the timid girl any wrong grade; it usually sent Bernadetta into another fit of hysteria. "All I know is that our orders are to patrol the monastery."

"Right, but something just doesn't add up."

"I agree," A voice replied for her, and Byleth glanced back upward to see Claude. His smile was guarded, of course. He had never seemed sincere while in the presence of anyone besides her. "It's idiotic to carry plans about assassination."

"Why are you back in here?" Edelgard sighed, but she just brushed off her uniform and shook her head. "Oh, well. You agree, then? Isn't it just too obvious?"

"Completely," Claude replied. Much to Byleth's confusion, she felt herself paying more attention to the conversation than previously. "You know what I think?"

"What?" Byleth questioned, setting her quill down impatiently. She stood, walking over to stand next to her own house leader. Claude's smile faltered slightly.

"I think..this is all just meant to be a distraction," Claude said, placing his hands behind his head. "I think these 'assassins' are really after something else."

"That is...actually an incredibly plausible scenario," Edelgard nodded her head, her lavender eyes narrowed in thought. "Going after the Archbishop would be pointless. There are so many people watching over her."

"Exactly," Claude gestured toward Edelgard, but his eyes shifted toward Byleth instead. "But what would they be after..?"

"Whats even at this monastery that's interesting?" Byleth muttered, fiddling with her quill as she met Claude in a held gaze. Edelgard made a sudden sound of realization, and Byleth and Claude both broke their stare to check out what Edelgard was on to.

"Perhaps they are after the Holy Tomb," Edelgard suggested confidently, a proud look in her lavender irises. "It's the perfect chance to slip into a forbidden location. The other option is the Goddess Tower."

"We could split up, half and half," Claude suggested. "Teach and I can head to the Holy Tomb. Edelgard, you could head to the Goddess Tower-"

"Funny joke," Edelgard frowned, narrowing her eyes. She placed her hands on her hips, shifting closer to Byleth. "The Professor and I will be traveling together to the Holy Tomb. Take your Deer to the Goddess Tower."

"Is that an order?" Claude grinned mirthlessly, a subtle threat in his emerald eyes. He wasn't particularly fond of being told what to do, especially from the Imperial Princess.

"It's a piece of advice. One I would consider taking in your position."

"That's fine," Byleth interrupted the two conflicting nobles, causing them both to stare at her. "Edelgard and I can survey the Holy Tomb. I trust Claude to cover another area."

She could sense that the way she worded her statement satisfied Edelgard as well as Claude. That slightly confused her; Claude had always been the one who wanted to learn more about Fódlan. He always wanted to be in the action; so why was he okay with taking the less populated area?

Claude confused her in every way possible. One moment he was insincere, the next, he was placing a flower in her hair. Another time, he was aggravating her, then a second later he was promising to help her. Not to mention how he had awakened her emotions. What was this boy?

"Alright," Claude nodded in agreement, but she sensed some scheme stirring behind his eyes. "Stay safe, Teach."

"You as well, Claude," Byleth responded, watching as he left. Edelgard glanced at him briefly before turning her attention back to her professor.

"May I ask you something?" Edelgard questioned, and Byleth nodded, walking back to sit by her plain desk. Edelgard shifted from side to side awkwardly
before composing herself. "I am happy to call you my professor, but I don't quite understand. You seem too enjoy Claude's presence more than mine...so why did you choose the Black Eagles house?"

"Edelgard, I enjoy your company," Byleth shook her head. I just don't feel anything. She hated that her lack of emotions sent wrong signals toward everyone. "He just tends to seek me out quite a bit. I don't know if this will console you, but I chose your house for a reason. He seemed too insincere, and Dimitri's house seemed rather bland. I chose your house because you appealed to me."

"I did?" Edelgard looked pleased. "Well, you appealed to me as well. Since the very beginning from where you saved my life..."

"Anytime," Byleth nodded. "That's why I chose your house. Any other questions?"

Edelgard hesitated, and then shook her head from side to side.

"No. Thank you for speaking with me."