Tragedy

"My teacher. I hate to alarm you while you are still injured...but Alliance troops have begun to march toward Gronder Field to reunite with the Kingdom. We have to stop them before they align."

Byleth sat up straight in her infirmary bed, her eyes wide open. What? She didn't want to believe how far apart her and Claude were, but now...now they would actually have to meet in battle so soon? Byleth had only been back for two days, and here she was...

"I'll be heading off to stop them. Your father has already agreed to come with me," Edelgard informed her, a determined and faraway look in her lavender eyes. "You will need to stay here. I refuse to risk you being injured-"

"No!" Byleth interrupted immediately, quickly fumbling to try and hide how insistent she was about coming. If she didn't go...how was she ever supposed to see Claude? How was she supposed to warn him, or see things for herself?

If she didn't go, how could she change any outcome other than his death?

"I cannot afford to have you hurt-"

"I need to go. I have to see things for myself," Byleth explained, stubbornly standing from her bed. "Please. I promise that if I'm in any danger, I'll retreat...but I have to go."

"My teacher..." Edelgard hesitated, a cautious and fearful look in her lavender eyes. She pressed her lips together, not liking the idea of her friend in trouble. "...Do you remember...what I did before I left?"

"When you..." Byleth pressed a hand to her lips subconsciously, making Edelgard's cheeks blush a crimson red. "...Kissed me?"

"Y-Yes. Exactly," Edelgard nodded, her normally cold and hard tone turning soft and somewhat embarrassed. "I...Um...I would not take it back. I did not mean to feel this way, but...I do. It is why I saved your father as well. Anyway...knowing this, I cannot afford to have you risk your life when you are not well."

"Please. You know you need my abilities, I'm highly capable of protecting myself!" Byleth protested fiercely. The thought of being unable to see Claude ripped her chest in two, but she couldn't afford to show that. "I'm fine. I can afford to fight now. The Kingdom and Alliance will join together if we can't stop them...you're going to need all the power you can get."

"...It is hard to argue that," Edelgard admitted reluctantly. As much as she cared for her teacher, her ambitions always had to come first. She frowned deeply, and while Byleth felt bad for her insistence, she knew she had no choice. She needed to see him. "Are you sure you will be alright, my teacher?"

"I'm positive. You've seen me fight before, haven't you?" Byleth reminded her of her skill. "I'm more than capable of taking care of myself."

"I know that. But that does not mean I wish to see you in danger at all," Edelgard sighed heavily. "I cannot deny that your skills are desirable on the battlefield. I also cannot deny that your presence will make things easier...but still, I...I hesitate. I hesitate, when I never have stopped for anything before."

"Edelgard..."

"My teacher...No. I cannot say it, not while we are in the middle of a war," Edelgard stopped her train of thought regretfully. Byleth had a feeling she knew exactly what the girl wanted to say... "I will respect your decision. But in the face of trouble...you must retreat. Promise me that much. I refuse to lose you again."

"I promise," Byleth repeated with a determined look in her eyes. She would see Claude, and she'd be able to demand answers for herself. She refused to believe that Claude was going to hurt her; he had never been one to back up the church! "Okay?"

"Yes," Edelgard nodded before gently taking Byleth's hand in hers. She hesitated, but carried on. Byleth wasn't sure how she was supposed to feel; Edelgard clearly liked her, but Byleth didn't even know what love was! "Take care, my teacher. We prepare to march tomorrow."

"I understand."

Edelgard slowly left the room, leaving Byleth alone with her thoughts once again. Her chest ached, but slightly less upon knowing that she'd be able to see Claude again. Sure, it felt like only a day that she'd been gone, but it had really been five whole years!

Five years had passed...what had changed? The last time they had seen each other, he had solemnly chewed her out for choosing Edelgard's path. But why? Weren't they fighting for similar ideals? She knew Claude wanted peace, but Edelgard was reasonable, couldn't he see that?

Not to mention...Edelgard herself had changed in appearance. She'd grown a little taller, and matured into a steadfast woman. How did Claude look now? Was he still walking around with unruly hair? Had his eyes grown duller from the war? Had he grown handsomer?

Or maybe he was worn out and jaded from the war. Maybe he was no longer the joking schemer who always tried to crack a joke. Maybe he hated her after all these years...

Could she blame him? It probably seemed like she'd betrayed him. Her heart stung upon realizing just how heartbroken he'd probably been. He had always talked about his ideals for peace, and here she was, joining Edelgard's war. But couldn't they see they were fighting for the same thing?

Byleth wasn't sure of anything...but if there was one thing she could do, it was try to change anything she could.

With luck, she'd be able to persuade both Claude and Edelgard to align forces.

What could go wrong?