Claude

"Of course I came."

Byleth pressed her lips together, the obvious tension between the two of them making her uncomfortable. He still held his bow-his Failnaught- in front of himself protectively. Byleth couldn't blame him for that, but it still hurt.

Upon Byleth's response, Claude seemed to process it slower than he normally would have. As Byleth kept her hand pressed to her cheek, he exhaled slowly.

"...Sorry bout the cut, Teach," Claude forced a smile onto his face as the corner of his mouth tugged upward halfheartedly. "I suppose I should have killed you quicker. Would have saved us both the heartache."

"...Claude, you don't want to kill me," Byleth called his bluff easily. He didn't move or fidget at all, but Byleth didn't need to read him to know that. It was obvious that the two had a connection. "I don't want to kill you. So put your bow down...and let's talk."

"We talked last time. We couldn't find an agreement," Claude reminded her quietly. "We never will, Teach. I can't fight alongside you, you won't fight alongside me. We're destined to fight here."

"No! I'm not...I'm not fighting you, Claude," Byleth refused, frowning. "I won't."

"Then leave," Claude said softly. a pleading look in his emerald eyes. Byleth hesitated. I can't leave....He knew that, and his eyes shifted downward. "...See?"

"Claude-"

He quickly nocked an arrow, shooting it straight at Byleth. She dodged, but he kept firing. His deadly precision was difficult to avoid, and Byleth found herself panting in exhaustion. Her heart was aching as he continued to fire, and she eventually pulled her sword out to block his arrows. He smiled halfheartedly, drawing his own Sword of Begalta.

He rushed forward, swinging his sword. Byleth met his blade with her own, knowing how wrong this was...and how powerless she was to stop it. Claude kicked his leg out at her knee, but Byleth was quick to dodge his blow.

Claude sliced his sword downward and around, but Byleth wouldn't let him get a clear opening. Again and again, she blocked his blows, but refused to hurt him herself. No, Claude wouldn't die here, she wouldn't let him.

"Teach, it's over," Claude said with gritted teeth as the grind of the metal clashing against each other squeaked. "We can't keep living like we were kids. This is war, and you can't take back what you did. We're over."

Byleth bit her cheek in order to stop herself from crying out about how much that hurt to hear him say that. Crying, huh...That used to be difficult for Byleth, now, it was all she felt she could do.

Her heart screamed at her, and as Byleth offensively swung her sword, a fresh pang of pain enveloped her entire being. She couldn't help herself from crumpling to the floor, hitting her back against the hard ground. She blearily glanced up, clutching at her chest. Claude glanced down at her, his sword held above her chest. Byleth closed her eyes, prepared to feel the sharp cut of the blade...

Instead, she felt herself being cradled in someone's arms. His arms. Claude had immediately knelt downward to check up on her.

"Teach?" As she clutched onto his shoulders, a look of realization panned onto his face. "No...I should be killing you. Not..."

"We can't kill each other, Claude," Byleth said softly. "Claude, theres something...something people have been telling me."

"Yeah?" Claude chuckled mirthlessly, pain in his emerald eyes. "About what?"

"...About how you're the reason my chest hurts. You make me feel weird...feelings. At first I thought they were bad," Byleth admitted, clutching onto him tighter. Yes. There it was. The ache disappearing, the sparks reappearing with his touch. How incredibly soothing... "But now, I don't think so. You made me feel something. Emotions! Oh, and... these weird, sparky things in my chest that happen when you're around."