White Heron Cup

"Professor. You look like you wanna say something. But if you're here to lecture me, I'll pass. It's not like I'm one of your students."

Hilda strutted always from Byleth, and the professor sighed in irritation. Some students had willingly joined the Black Eagles house, namely Lorenz and some other students. However, Hilda was not one of them. Byleth was intrigued by the girl's strength that was hidden underneath her cutesy act. Unfortunately, Hilda wasn't interested.

"Trying to steal my friends away?"

Byleth turned to see the one and only Golden Deer house leader, Claude. He was twirling an arrow in his hand expertly, and Byleth couldn't help but smile at the sight of him.

"No?" Byleth said innocently, laughing as he looked at her suspiciously. "Listen, she just has so much potential. Can you blame me?"

"No. But Hilda could be way stronger if she put some more effort into it," Claude sighed, weaving the arrow through his fingers. "So, Teach. Will you be dancing for the White Heron Cup?"

"No," Byleth shook her head. "I can't dance. Flayn showed some interest, and so did Dorothea...although I must admit, I'm rather intrigued by the idea of Hubert becoming a dancer."

"Now that would be a sight to see," Claude chuckled, thoroughly enjoying the thought of Hubert dancing. "But...what did you mean you can't dance?"

"Oh no," Byleth knew she had invited the question in, and the mischievous look in his eyes didn't help to soothe her nerves. "It's not a big deal-"

"Of course it is! Dancing is wondrous!"

Claude tucked the arrow away, beginning to twirl and dance by himself. He looked rather dumb dancing alone, and Byleth couldn't help herself from giggling.

"Come on, Teach," Claude grinned devilishly, extending his hand to her as he continued to dance alone. "I'll teach you to dance."

"No," Byleth crossed her arms stubbornly. "I'm going to be terrible at it, and no one needs to see that."

"That's why you've got to get good at it now! Come on."

Claude reached out, grasping her hand. A literal spark formed as they touched, and Claude retracted his hand, shaking it in slight pain.

"Ouch," Claude chuckled. Byleth grasped her hand with the other, slightly amused. Now he was literally feeling what she felt in her chest when she was around him. He smiled, a mystified look in his emerald eyes. "What are you doing to me, Teach?"

"Hm?"

"Ah, nothing," Claude shook his head, dismissing his earlier words. "Nothing at all."

Byleth narrowed her eyes at him, studying him to try and figure out what he meant. He only grinned at her, laughing at her obvious obliviousness.

"Why can't you just tell me?" Byleth questioned, shifting from side to side. "Must we hide secrets?"

"Sorry, Teach."

"My teacher."

Claude grimaced. They both knew who that was. Byleth turned, glancing over to see none other than Edelgard herself. She was accompanied by Hubert, who was creepily standing to the side.

"I thought I had expressed how I felt about him to you," Edelgard frowned, placing her hands firmly on her hips. Claude snickered.

"How you feel about me?" Claude laughed, tapping his chin with his finger as if pretending he was thinking hard. "And how exactly do you feel about me?"

"You're using her," Edelgard narrowed her lavender eyes. All pretenses of amiability was gone as Edelgard acknowledged Claude. "You can't be trusted with anything."

"Oh no," Claude pretended to frown, as if he was actually offended. "The Imperial Princess doesn't think I'm trustworthy. All I'm doing is talking to Teach here."

"My teacher, surely-"

"I like talking to Claude," Byleth interrupted before the two could argue any further. Edelgard looked rather cross with her words. "Edelgard, please. Respect my decision."

"He is only going to harm you."

"Am I?" Claude countered. "Or is it really you who will end up hurting her? You seem rather worried when all I'm doing is talking to Teach."

"Every time you come around, something bad happens," Edelgard crossed her arms. "I'm only trying to look out for my teacher."

"Lady Edelgard is right, as always," Hubert said sinisterly from where he stood. "Now, Professor. Heed Edelgard's warning."

"I told you...he makes me happy," Byleth said, turning to Edelgard. The Black Eagles house leader looked slightly hurt, so Byleth quickly added on to her statement. "You make me happy, too. But I like talking to him.."

"Fine. But when he ends up hurting you, I'll have nothing if to say," Edelgard crossed her arms in irritation. "Professor, I heard we will be investigating an abandoned chapel. Do you know what the purpose of this is?"

"No."

"Strange."

"I guess I'll be leaving, then," Claude shrugged, not really caring to watch the interaction between the two as his emerald eyes narrowed slightly toward Edelgard. "Oh. But before I go.."

Claude rummaged through his uniform's pockets, finally pulling out a beautiful red blossom. It was a crimson rose, and he handed it to Byleth gently. As their fingers brushed, Byleth felt the spark ignite between them once again.

"See ya around, Teach."

Byleth watched him leave, holding the flower in her hands in shock. She looked down at it, glancing at the blossom's petals.

"...He seems to like you," Edelgard frowned, clenching her fists. "For his plans. Be careful, my teacher."

I already said it. I don't care if he's using me. I like him.

"Why are you so worried?" Byleth asked instead, running her thumb over the stem of the flower. There were no thorns on the rose, much to her relief.

"...I just don't want to lose you as a professor to him," Edelgard admitted, looking slightly reluctant to admit said fact. "...If you continue to talk to him, then you might request a house switch. Then I would lose you as a professor, and...and as a friend."

"Edelgard...I'm not requesting a house switch," Byleth reassured the Black Eagles house leader. She reached over to grab Edelgard's hand in hers, figuring it was just a thing friends did considering both Edelgard and Claude did it regularly. "I promise I'll stay your teacher. He's just one of my friends..just as you are one of mine as well."

"Very well. Perhaps my suspicion was wrong," Edelgard said, her lavender eyes wide as Byleth squeezed her hands in hers. "My teacher..."

"Yes?"

"...Nothing. Nothing. Enjoy your day, my teacher."