The Dance

It was the night of the ball.

Byleth watched as Rhea clasped her hands in front of her chest. She looked pleased and elegant as she wore a fancy, white embroidered gown with silvery highlights. Her crown was set upon her head as usual, but her her hair was done differently.

In fact, it wasn't just the Archbishop. Everyone was dolled up in their nicest clothes. Byleth herself had been shoved and forced into some ivory, uncomfortable, knee length dress much to her discomfort. Her father Jeralt was in a fancy suit, and he looked just as uncomfortable as Byleth did.

At least she wasn't alone in feeling that way.

Still, the students looked nice. They all looked as if they were enjoying themselves. Byleth smiled at that. Even if she couldn't really be happy about her outfit, she was happy to see everyone celebrating.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Rhea announced, making everyone fall silent so that they could respectfully listen to her. "As most of you know, the first dance always goes to the house leaders and their choice in a partner of the opposite gender. Please, step out."

The house leaders all stepped out. Edelgard was in a black and red gown, with her white hair pinned up elegantly. She daintily held a student's hand in hers. Dimitri was next, walking out in a suit of navy blue. He chose a redheaded female from the Blue Lions house, making her swoon. Byleth chuckled at this as the two house leaders took the dancing stance.

Byleth glanced to her right, laying eyes on the missing house leader. Claude was dressed in a golden, extravagant suit that complemented his emerald eyes. He walked toward her, and Byleth stared at him, puzzled. Where was his partner-?

Byleth gasped as he grabbed her hand. She could only gape as he winked wordlessly at her, pulling her onto the dance floor. Her brain seemed to stop functioning as he led her onto the dance floor, intertwining their fingers. She didn't notice Edelgard's disappointed look, the whispers of surprise from other students, or Jeralt's disapproval. All she could focus on was him.

"Claude, I-I-I can't dance!" Byleth whispered urgently as he placed one hand on her waist. She felt her heart flutter in her chest as he held her closer to him. "I'm not right for this-"

"You are, Teach," Claude said softly, smiling at her with genuine happiness. The music began to start, and Byleth looked at him in terror. "Just follow my lead."

Everyone around them began to move, and Byleth froze in absolute fear. Claude gently held her closer, leading her as they danced. She followed into step with him, absolutely terrified as she clung onto him like a vice.

"Relax," He whispered into her ear, making pleasant shivers flutter down her spine. "It's okay. You're doing great."

"Claude, I can't-I can't dance!" Byleth nervously reminded him, and he gently squeezed her hand to try and comfort her. "I-I can't-"

"It's okay, Teach," Claude quickly tried to reassure her, watching her eyes glance back and forth in fear. "Focus on me, Teach. Look at me, everything will be okay."

Slowly, they began to waltz around the ballroom. Everything except him dulled into a gray blur as Byleth focused on only his eyes as he had instructed. The whole time, his expression remained genuine, the emotion in his eyes warm and welcoming. Byleth felt her breath bitch in her throat as he dipped her beneath him, and she held onto him tightly.

"You scared me," Byleth clutched onto his arms for dear life. She continued to gaze upward at him, suddenly noting just how charming his genuine smile was.

"I wouldn't ever drop you, Teach," Claude told her, pulling her back up to him. Byleth felt her face heat up as the dance ended, and he winked at her again. "Promise."

They continued to dance as the other students joined them. Byleth gradually found herself loosening up a bit, although she still held onto Claude's hand tightly. She tripped on his foot, immediately beginning to offer up apologies as he kept her from completely falling.

"It's okay, Teach," Claude reassured her quickly before she could begin to panic once again. "Not a big deal."

They waltzed for a little longer, but were unfortunately interrupted by Hilda, Claude's right hand woman. She smiled sweetly, waving at them.

"Hey, Professor," Hilda said innocently, a mischievous look in her pink eyes. "Mind if I steal Claude away for a dance?"

"Ah, actually Hilda-"

"You may," Byleth shrugged, oblivious to Claude's protests. Hilda's smile grew wider as she gestured for Claude to come join her. He flashed Byleth a helpless little grin, disentangling himself from her.

"I'll see you later," He winked before frolicking onto the dance floor. Byleth quickly made her way to her father, who waved upon seeing her.

"Hey, kid," Jeralt greeted, pulling at his tie in discomfort. "I'm surprised you got on the dance floor."

"I kinda got dragged there..."

"Well, you could have said no," Jeralt raised his brow. "No one hurts you on my watch. When he hurts you, you let me know-"

"Dad," Byleth laughed softly. "He's not hurting me."

"Are you sure?" Jeralt frowned suspiciously. Byleth couldn't help but chuckle at his overly protective ways. "...Alright, well, if you say so. But if he does anything out of line, I'll show him his place-"

"Dad! I...I like Claude. I really like him," Byleth admitted, pushing her hair behind her ears. Her father spit out his drink, beginning to choke, and Byleth widened her eyes. "Dad! Are you alright?"

"Y-Yeah. Just...Wow, this is sudden," Jeralt coughed, and Byleth patted on his back awkwardly to try and make sure her father was alright. "I guess I'm glad I came back to the monastery if it means...all this. But I told you, if he hurts you, I'll-"

"He's not going to hurt me. He's my friend. I trust him."

"You trust him?" Jeralt raised his brow, confused. Byleth nodded.

"Yes. I do."

"Well, as long as you're happy...I guess I support your decision," Jeralt sighed, running a hand through his combed down hair. "Go out there and have fun, kid. I'm glad to see you happy."

"Thank you. I will."