Resolve

Battles passed...but it didn't seem as if anything changed.

With the Alliance out of the picture, the Kingdom and Church were alone in their stand against Edelgard. The Emperor herself had declared that they would begin their march towards the Kingdom tomorrow...and Byleth wasn't particularly ready for such an event.

She wasn't the only one having such troubles. Lorenz had come to her, wondering if it was right to see the Alliance meet its end. Dorothea had cried with her, hating how they'd had to fight people they had known...but worst of all was Sylvain. He ranted and worried about his friends, Felix, Ingrid, and Dimitri, who were surely fighting for Faerghus. Despite his best efforts to stay calm, Byleth could see the tears brimming his eyes.

So, the was hadn't affected just her. Byleth wondered if Hilda was even alive; after throwing her off the bridge, Byleth hadn't seen Hilda again.

Oh, the consequences of war...

At the very least, Jeralt had informed her that Judith of House Daphnel was still alive and well to help those suffering. Byleth knew hate was stemming in the Alliance, and she couldn't help but partially agree with them. If it wasn't for Edelgard's war, then her and Claude could have had a happy ending...

But then again, the war meant she could finally take down Rhea. This is worth it. No matter how much my happiness suffers...

Knock, knock, knock.

"Yes?" Byleth called out, inwardly hoping it was Claude. Instead, as she opened the door, she caught sight of Ferdinand. His hair was long and tangled, but he had a pleasant smile on his face. "Can I help you?"

"Well, I was first just checking to make sure that our Professor is alright," Ferdinand clarified, fiddling with his hands. "Second of all...I just needed to tell you that my father has been defeated in battle."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"No, we shouldn't be. He was a despicable man who extorted thousands of people," Ferdinand shook his head. "What I'm trying to say is that...because of our actions against the corrupt nobles in Adrestia, people are beginning to look up. They are starting to see a brighter future."

"Thank you for telling me this," Byleth said, still confused as to why Ferdinand felt the need to share this with her.

"...I just thought you'd like to know another reason to continue our actions...and consequently, this war," Ferdinand elaborated, brushing his hair out of his face with a gloved hand. "Morale has been low around here, Professor. But I just wanted to assure you...that things will start to look up."

"I hope so," Byleth told him, unable to smile. She wasn't going to pretend here that everything was alright; it wasn't. "I really do."

"Right. Well, good day, Professor. I hope you'll be well tonight."

Ferdinand left the area, and Byleth shut the door in apathy. She wanted to be happy, she wanted to be excited...but it was just hard when her sorrow seemed to bother her at every turn.

At least the ache in her chest was gone.

Right...her beating heart. What good was her emotions now, though? Now that Claude was gone, she couldn't exactly feel happy. All she could really feel was sadness...

Well, sadness, disgust, and anger. Oh, and fear, of course..considering she wasn't even sure if she'd ever see Claude again. All she was missing was happiness, the most important emotion...and it was gone.

Knock, knock, knock.

Again? Byleth groaned inwardly, but she stood to answer the door anyway. The blue haired healer, Marianne von Edmund, looked quite timid as usual. Byleth tried to straighten herself up for the quiet girl, knowing that the girl already lacked confidence about facing anyone besides the professor. Byleth didn't need Marianne thinking that Byleth didn't care, either.

"Hello, Professor..." Marianne said nervously, clutching her hands together in front of her. "I just came to check on you."

"Thank you, Marianne."

"...I actually got a visit from Hilda before we left Deirdru," Marianne fidgeted anxiously once more, catching Byleth's attention. "She wanted me to tell you this...I'm not really sure why, but...Hilda wanted me to tell you...something about Claude's room. I don't really know what that means, but...she said to check his room, or something?"

"Hm. Thank you, Marianne..." Byleth sighed in relief, glad to hear that Hilda was indeed alive. "I suppose I'll be heading there now."

"My pleasure, Professor," Marianne nodded, a small smile on her face. "I'm happy to be of service."

Byleth excused herself to head to Claude's old room. Just what would be in here? It wasn't as if he would have left anything for her, he wouldn't have been able to leave anything for her previously. So what was Hilda alluding to?

Byleth made her way over to Claude's room before trying the door knob. Locked, but Byleth quickly pulled out a pin to pick the lock. After a moment, she had unlocked the door.

The door clicked open, and Byleth pushed it open to see a barren room. Everything was stripped from the walls, the desks, and the bed aside. Byleth frowned at the emptiness of the room. Perhaps this had been a dud after all...

No. Byleth couldn't just give up like that. She began to search more thoroughly, checking the drawers and beneath the bed. She caught a glimpse of the mirror slightly ajar, and she stopped to curiously take a glance.

She pushed the mirror aside, finding a folded piece of paper inside. Byleth gently unfolded it, revealing a letter written in messy black ink.

I'm about to leave the monastery. Edelgard's war has started, and I have to get out of here before she tries to take us prisoner or something.

Teach is gone. I watched it happen...the castle crumbled in on her. I don't wanna believe it...well, no. I saw her fall. I have to believe it.

And yet...something tells me she's still out there. I don't know why, but part of me still feels that way. I saw her die with my own eyes, and a part of me is still disbelieving!

I can only hope and wait she's still out there.

Anyway, if you're reading this...it means you invaded my room for whatever reason. Whoever you are...I hope you've brought good news, because I certainly haven't had any.

If you're from the Empire...look at the chaos you caused.

But...in a way, maybe you could have created a better world. I think I could have done it peacefully, instead of leaving this rebellion...but since this war is in effect, there's no stopping it.

May the better side win.

-Claude von Riegan

Claude...Claude had waited five years. Claude had hope (no matter how slim) even when he had watched her practically die. Byleth placed the letter down, feeling something course through her veins. Her heart thumped in her chest, and Byleth shook her head.

He had faith that she would return...and she had come back.

Now, Byleth just needed to await his return.

She just needed to trust him.