Attack the Monastery

"We must invade the monastery, and secure victory at all costs!"

Byleth had to admit, Edelgard was quite a persuasive leader. All of the Imperial troops were agreeing with her, the same conviction in their eyes that Edelgard had. Everyone was extremely united under her rule, and Byleth herself was feeling more motivated than usual.

Yet...

What about all those people at the monastery that she knew? Sure, she had her Black Eagles here, and she didn't mind taking down Rhea, but what about Flayn or Seteth? Or all the Blue Lions and Golden Deer? What about her father? What about Claude? Was he stuck in there, feeling absolutely betrayed? Wondering what he ever saw in her?

Byleth didn't want to think about that again.

It was inevitable, Byleth knew that, especially as they barged through the monastery, but the only question was who would they have to fight first..?

"Kid!"

Byleth glanced over to see her father running toward her on horseback. The troops around her tensed up, preparing to fight.

No. I won't fight him. I chose Edelgard, but...but I'll leave with only him if I have to!

"Ah, thank goodness. I thought I lost ya," Jeralt sighed, turning to face the monastery. He had his lance pointed toward the church soldiers awaiting them. "...It's about damn time I fight against that woman who took your mother from me."

Byleth lips upturned into a smile at her father's news. She brandished her sword, grateful to have her father by her again. Together with Edelgard, the family marched toward the monastery.

The place that had once seemed welcoming and warm was now cold and foreboding. The church soldiers glared at Byleth, and she could see Rhea glaring from where she stood. Yet, there was no sight of who Byleth was truly searching for. She was grateful; he must be defending another part of the monastery.

Thank goodness.

"Onward!" Edelgard shouted, and Byleth nodded with a determined glint in her eyes. Luckily, she couldn't find Flayn, either, but Seteth was indeed next to Rhea with Catherine and Cyril beside him.

Ah. That was terrifying..she really was going to have to fight people she knew...people she had liked, and had genuine conversations with. Rhea was a different story since Byleth knew just how dangerous she was, but she had had conversations with Seteth and sparring sessions with Catherine. Now, she actually had to fight them?

This was crazy.

Byleth swung her deadly Sword of the Creator, piercing through a soldier's chest. He cried out, falling to the ground, and Byleth pulled her blade out unsympathetically.

"So, it is true...You're fighting with the Empire."

Byleth felt her unmoving heart sink in her chest. Instantly, the dull ache pulled at her heartstrings as Byleth turned to face Claude. He had his bow nocked toward her, an indifferent expression on his face, but Byleth knew better. As she glanced into his emerald eyes, she could see the hurt brewing in his irises.

"Claude..." Byleth started, taking a step toward him, but he only shook his head and raised his bow. Byleth fell silent, her bottom lip trembling as he refused to put down his bow.

"No, Teach...you betrayed all of us," Claude's voice trembled shakily despite his best efforts to remain calm. It took a lot to shake the man, but seeing Byleth on the opposite side of him was too much. "How could you...?"

"You don't understand. Edelgard is fighting to take Rhea down," Byleth tried to explain herself desperately. "Join with us, Claude. I know you hate Rhea just as much as I do..."

"Yes, but do you realize what you're doing right now?" Claude countered, a hurt look on his face. "Millions of people will die because of Edelgard's war. I know we can solve this diplomatically, this war isn't necessary. Now I have no choice but to fight against her...and you."

"No. I don't want this..."

Neither of them made a move on each other, but Claude refused to lower his bow and Byleth eyed him warily. Those sparks were gone, her chest only dull and empty as he looked at her painfully. Byleth felt herself fumbling to say anything.

"Claude..."

"I...I thought I could trust you," Claude's voice broke at this, making the ache grow stronger in her chest. It hurt so much to see him like this... "The first person I could ever trust...and I was beginning to think that maybe...maybe..." Claude paused, a regretful look on his face. "...Well, I was wrong. I was so wrong..."

"Wait-"

Claude shook his head, a solemn look growing on his face. He disappeared behind everyone, lowering his bow but backing away, and Byleth felt her heart cry out, a painful explosion occurring in her chest.

She fell to the ground, clutching at her heart. She knew the incoming soldiers were preparing to execute her defenseless self, but the pain was too much.

Clang!

A clash of metal resounded above her as Edelgard herself protected her from her assailants. Byleth weakly glanced up, shooting her a weak smile. Edelgard helped her up after slaying her attackers, lending Byleth her shoulder.

"My teacher, what's wrong?"

"M-My chest..." Byleth weakly tried to explain. She knew Claude was gone, she knew he hadn't witnessed her collapse. If he had seen her, he would have helped her. She knew it....The searing pain tore through her body, and Byleth coughed painfully. "Ah.."

"Stay strong," Edelgard told her cautiously, a twinge of fear in her voice. It wasn't for herself, no. It was for her beloved professor. "My teacher, help is coming."

"On the contrary. No one is coming to save you."

Rhea looked over the two, brandishing a glowing sword imbued with power. It wasn't a Hero's Relic, but if Rhea was using it, it had to be powerful. Byleth wearily looked up, unable to defend herself, but Edelgard gently let her down before standing her ground protectively in front of her professor.

"Good. Your traitorous heart is betraying you," Rhea gloated, an insanely furious look on her usually serene face. "I will rip it right from your chest and take my mother back!"

"You will not hurt my teacher!"

Their blades clashed, again and again, as Edelgard was backed up by her other Black Eagles. Rhea growled, transforming into her monstrous dragon form once again. She swiped the monastery roof above Byleth's head, and the delirious professor glanced upward to see the castle crumbling above her.

While Byleth had expected to hear Edelgard crying out or Rhea's scream of satisfaction, it was instead silent. She saw their mouths moving and the monastery crumbling, but it was quiet.

Right before the monastery crushed her underneath it, Byleth heard someone's voice frantically screaming her name.

"TEACH!!!"