The Goddess Tower

Byleth was exhausted.

Sure, she'd only really danced once with Claude, but that had been draining! Being in the atmosphere of a ball was exciting, Byleth particularly enjoyed the food, but...now she was tired, and needed a break.

The students had all asked her to dance, but Byleth had declined them in favor of watching. They had seemed disappointed after watching her dance with Claude, trying to reassure her that she wasn't bad, but Byleth wasn't having it. She was convinced that dancing was hard, and that...well, quite honestly, that she wouldn't be able to do it without Claude.

Byleth found herself wandering to the Goddess Tower aimlessly for some much needed peace and quiet. However, she was only able to cherish a few minutes alone before she heard someone approaching.

"My teacher, is that you?"

Byleth looked up from where she sat against the wall to see Edelgard wandering around. Byleth raised her hand in greeting.

"Hello, Edelgard."

"Running away from the party?" Edelgard questioned, and Byleth nodded. "Me too. I enjoy some dancing...but some peace and quiet is always nice too."

"Definitely is," Byleth agreed, patting the ground next to her as a gesture for Edelgard to sit. The Black Eagles house leader hesitated for a brief second before obliging. "...Ah. It's so nice to just be able to relax here."

"Yes, it is," Edelgard smiled, but she looked as if something was bothering her. "...Professor, did you just..not wish to dance with me? I understand if the thought is unappealing, but I witnessed you reject everyone except for Claude-"

"Oh, I just don't want to dance in general," Byleth chuckled upon seeing Edelgard looking so saddened by her actions. "Sorry for laughing. But dancing is just...not my strong suit. I couldn't really say no to Claude, so.."

"Ah...Yes, I suppose that's true," Edelgard relaxed, playing with her white gloved hands in her lap. She looked up at Byleth curiously. "...I'm sorry for being so on edge about Claude. I'm certain it must bother you to have me fussing. I just wish to see my teacher safe."

"It's alright. Your worry is unfounded, but I appreciate the thought."

The two just sat there, enjoying the peace and silence that accompanied the tower. Edelgard smiled.

"You remember how we made that promise earlier? About how we would all meet up in five years, regardless of what happens..?" Edelgard said with a distant look in her eyes, and Byleth nodded. "...I don't expect you to show up after everything that will happen, but...I sincerely hope that you will."

"I'll be there for my Black Eagles," Byleth reassured her, not completely understanding what Edelgard was getting at, but hoping to comfort the girl anyway. "That's a promise."

"I hope you will abide by that. My teacher..I didn't expect to grow so attached to you," Edelgard admitted, shrugging. "But here I am..."

"Well, I'm glad you did," Byleth smiled, placing her hand over Edelgard's. The house leader flipped her palm up so that their fingers were intertwined together. "I'm glad that I'm so close to my house leader."

"...We can't do this," Edelgard frowned, releasing her hand, much to Byleth's confusion. "I'm sorry, my teacher. But this isn't right."

"What's not right?" Byleth asked obliviously, unsure of why Edelgard seemed to be so troubled about their once conjoined hands. "I'm afraid I don't understand."

"You...You really don't know, do you?" Edelgard sighed, a forlorn look in her lavender eyes. Her expression hardened, and she stood. "I can't let anything or anyone distract me from my goals. Maybe one day I can teach you about what you're doing...but for now, this simply cannot happen."

"Okay?" Byleth shrugged, still immensely confused,  it pretending to understand as she nodded her head. "I hope one day you will trust me enough. And...um...Edelgard?"

"Yes?"

"If you wish to dance...I won't say no," Byleth said quietly, averting her eyes to the ground. "But only here, while now one's watching."

"Are you sure?" Edelgard's lavender eyes widened in surprise and slight excitement. "I wouldn't wish to make you suffer or do something you don't want to do."

"Well, my refusal to dance made you feel sad, so here we are," Byleth smiled, shrugging awkwardly. "Come on. You'll have to lead me, cause I'm afraid I still don't know how to dance, but if you're okay with that, then..."

"Of course, my teacher," Edelgard quickly agreed, hurriedly making her way to her feet. She made her way toward Byleth, holding Byleth's waist and assuming the dancing position. "...Thank you for thinking about me."

"Of course. Enjoy this...because I'm never dancing ever again."

Edelgard smiled softly.

"I will, my teacher."