Alternate Ending (1)

*some things may not be continuous with the previous story*

"Hey, Teach."

Byleth pressed her lips together, the obvious tension between the two of them making her uncomfortable. No longer was it playful and lighthearted; no, they both knew they had an agenda to take each other down. He still held his bow-his Failnaught- in front of himself protectively. Byleth couldn't blame him for that, but it still hurt.

Upon Byleth's response, Claude seemed to process it slower than he normally would have. As Byleth kept her hand pressed to her cheek, he exhaled slowly.

"...Sorry bout the cut," Claude forced a smile onto his face as the corner of his mouth tugged upward halfheartedly. "I suppose I should have killed you quicker. Would have saved us both the heartache."

"...Claude..."

"We talked last time. We couldn't find an agreement," Claude reminded her quietly. "We never will, Teach. I can't fight alongside you, you won't fight alongside me. We're destined to fight here."

Byleth exhaled loudly through her teeth, a resigned look on her face.

"...I know."

At her acknowledgment, he quickly nocked an arrow, shooting it straight at Byleth. She dodged, but he kept firing. His deadly precision was difficult to avoid, and Byleth found herself panting in exhaustion. Her heart was aching as he continued to fire, and she eventually pulled her sword out to block his arrows. He smiled halfheartedly, drawing his own Sword of Begalta.

He rushed forward, swinging his sword. Byleth met his blade with her own, knowing how wrong this was...and how powerless she was to stop it. Claude kicked his leg out at her knee, but Byleth was quick to dodge his blow.

This was the reality of war...and she had to fight.

Byleth swung her sword at him, with the Sword of the Creator unfurling to its full length. He dodged, swinging his sword horizontally. Byleth quickly held her blade up to block.

"Teach, it's over," Claude said with gritted teeth as the grind of the metal clashing against each other squeaked. "We can't keep living like we were kids. This is war, and you can't take back what you did. We're over."

He made a slight misstep, his foot sliding backward. Byleth closed her eyes as she thrusted her Sword of the Creator forward, impaling him through the chest.

Claude glanced downward, a look of shock on his face. He clutched at his wound, dropping his sword before collapsing. Byleth walked over to him, kneeling down beside him.

"I know it's over," Byleth said softly, a pained look on her face. She clasped onto his hand, and he gripped it in obvious suffering. He gasped for breath, a pained grunt escaping his lips. Byleth shut her eyes, not wanting to watch him die. "I'm sorry...I'm so sorry."

"T...T-Teach," Claude could only gasp in pain, a far cry from his usual teasing and fun banter. Byleth felt her heart rip into two upon hearing his voice, but she knew there was no other way. They both had said it themselves...it was over.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry..." Byleth didn't know she was crying until she felt her tears spill onto their conjoined hands. "I'm so, so, sorry..."

Byleth had to watch the light drain from his beautiful, sparkling emerald eyes. His grip on her hand slackened, and his head lolled to the side. The man deserved a better death, not to be slain by her blade. Claude didn't deserve to die at all, why did things have to play out like this...? Why did he have to fight, why did they have to fight...?

Byleth stayed by his side, her tears streaming down her face.

She had killed Claude.

"My teacher!" Edelgard came running over, a tense look on her face. Upon seeing Claude's corpse, her face paled considerably. "Oh, no..."

"I had to do it," Byleth sobbed, and Edelgard embraced her in a warm, comforting hug. Byleth sniffled uncontrollably. "I had to kill him, I had to do it...why..why!?"

"I am so sorry," Edelgard consoled Byleth, rubbing her back comfortingly. "But war takes the best people from us. We must move forward...I will stand by your side until you are ready. I will hold you up when things get tough...if you will permit me."

"Please," Byleth whispered, and Edelgard grabbed Byleth's hand comfortingly. Unlike before, a fresh wave of warmth swept through Byleth's body from the gesture. "El..."

"I am by your side," Edelgard said with a determined but soft look in her lavender eyes. "I promise, my teacher."

"...Thank you, El."

Two months later

The war was over.

It was finally done...

Byleth finished the war with a heavy heart from the lives she had taken, but with Edelgard by her side, she had managed to overcome her trauma. Edelgard squeezed her hand comfortingly as the two stood by the balcony to make another speech.

"My subjects...We have finally prospered. The end of a horrible era is finally over! Peace will overtake this land once more...However, I have no plans of staying a ruler. I will look for a successor, and then step down with my teacher by my side."

The people of Adrestia clapped in support, smiles on their faces. Edelgard turned away from the balcony, pulling Byleth with her.

"Are you alright, my teacher?" Edelgard asked softly. Byleth shrugged.

"I suppose...but it's because of you that I'm okay. Thank you for everything, El."

As a way of saying thanks, Byleth leaned forward and planted a gentle kiss on Edelgard's lips. The Emperor froze in shock before embracing Byleth, and the two shared a sweet moment together.

"...I love you, my teacher," Edelgard confessed, her cheeks as red as her armor. She squeezed Byleth's hand comfortingly, a look of awe on her face. "With all my heart."

Byleth nodded and smiled softly. Edelgard had always been there for her, and even when Claude had died, she had been there. Claude wouldn't want Byleth to sit there and mourn his death forever, Byleth knew that. He'd want her to move on...Edelgard had been caring and comforting...and for that, Byleth knew her answer.

"I love you too, El."

so this is the ORIGINAL ENDING to this book. obviously abbreviated, but yes it was supposed to end with el. i made the decision to change it during post time skip which is why it panders to claude more

ALSO dimitri fic is up. called "atrocity"

tysm for reading!!