Dimitri

Here they were.

At the Kingdom's gates, Byleth and Edelgard marched onward. Byleth held her Sword of the Creator in her hands, a determined look on her face as she led the army alongside Edelgard.

"No matter what happens, we must prevail!" Edelgard announced as they went onward. Byleth looked backward to check on the troops. As her eyes landed on a certain someone, she frowned, and headed back.

"...You know, I wouldn't blame you if you decided not to participate in this battle," Byleth said quietly as she finally made her way to Sylvain. His eyes were downcast, no sign of his usual charm and he held his lance with sadness. "It's alright."

"No. I have to fight. My brother was screwed over by the church and their strictures. My life was ruined because of these damn crests," Sylvain's grip tightened on his weapon, his brow drawn downward in determination. "I have to fight...But even so...Who will I run into?"

Byleth remained silent at this. She didn't know just who they'd have to fight, and she didn't want to think about it either. He frowned.

"I shouldn't be dumping this on you, Professor. It's not your fault at all," Sylvain sighed, knowing that she was feeling the same as him. "I don't even blame Edelgard... But fighting Felix, Ingrid, or Dimitri? That's just so...wrong."

"I know," Byleth replied softly. She hadn't gotten very close to the Blue Lions herself, but she knew Sylvain had been childhood friends with half of the Lions. Sure, Byleth had to fight Claude, but at least he was alive. She had known that she could talk with him. This battle was one where no one would surrender. "I know it's wrong. But it's for the right reason."

"Yeah," Was all that Sylvain said, a bitter look in his sad eyes. "...You should go, Professor. Don't worry about me, I'll be okay."

"You're sure?"

"Yeah," Sylvain nodded. "I'm sure Edelgard needs you."

Byleth agreed with that sentiment. She jogged to catch back up to Edelgard, taking her side once more. Byleth reached out to grasp Edelgard's hand in hers, squeezing it tightly.

"My teacher..." Edelgard looked surprised, but she wasn't foolish enough to believe that she still had a chance. She straightened out her hair, a steely look in her eyes. "...Are you ready?"

Byleth nodded.

"As ready as I'll ever be."

"Soldiers of Adrestia..." Edelgard turned to the troops, a valiant look on her face. "Let us march on!"

With those words, the Imperial forces burst through the Kingdom's gates. Edelgard and Byleth led the front, noting the massive army that awaited them.

This would be a difficult battle.

Byleth swung her Sword of the Creator, watching it shudder as it sliced through the air. The powerful blade sliced through a soldier's chest and impaled someone else's arm, just as she had predicted. She pulled her sword out, kicking out her leg to parry another soldier's attempt to rush her before swinging her sword once more.

"On your left!" Jeralt shouted, and Byleth briefly saw him ride by, impaling a soldier rushing her as he rode. Byleth was grateful he was here with her, even through all of this. She was sure he must have enjoyed the thought of avenging her mother.

Byleth continued forward, swinging her sword expertly with the cover from her Black Eagles. They all were performing wonderfully, much to Byleth's admiration.

But...This came at a cost.

"I always wondered when I'd finally get to see how strong you really were."

Byleth's heart sank. She knew just who it was...Felix Fralderius, the boy who only seemed to care about strength. Here he was, in front of her with his sword held high.

"I always knew you were holding back," Felix referenced their past sparring battles, a determined look on his face. "Seems like now I'll finally get to see your true strength!"

Byleth knew there was no reasoning with anyone. If there was one takeaway Byleth had gotten from Edelgard, it was that the Emperor was right in some regards. Some people just wouldn't listen to reason.

Byleth knew there was no reasoning with Felix.

He charged at her, and Byleth blocked with her blade. He had gotten stronger since they had last sparred; Byleth no longer easily overpowered him. She whirled around to swing her sword, but he was prepared and blocked it.

There it was- an opening. He left his stomach unprotected as he blocked her blade. Byleth kicked out her leg, swinging her sword downward.

She shut her eyes as her blade cut through Felix.

He fell to the ground as Byleth pulled her sword out, a small frown on his face as he clutched at his own sword.

"Seems..I wasn't strong enough..."

Byleth wanted to scream and rewind back time...But she knew it was futile. There was no convincing Felix. So after he passed, Byleth knelt down to close his eyes....and then she moved onward.

"I always thought you were reasonable, Professor."

Byleth's heart practically stopped beating again as another person's voice registered in her mind. His voice was gravely and deep, a rage in his tone. Byleth looked up to see Dimitri, who had his lance pointed at her menacingly.

"Then you went and sided with Edelgard," Dimitri ranted, seeming to have a lot on his mind. "That monster...I will kill her!"

"No, you won't," Byleth refuted, not upset for the revenge driven boy in front of her...No, instead, all she felt was pity. Pity that all he could focus on was revenge. "You're wrong."

She heard the sound of his lance swooshing, and Byleth quickly stepped back to dodge his incoming lance. Byleth righted herself, swinging her sword to the side.

He blocked it with his lance, pressing all his monstrous weight against her. Byleth grit her teeth as she felt her feet slipping out under her; she had always known he was strong, but this was ridiculous! Byleth ceased her resisting, whirling away from his lance. Her long Sword of the Creator struck out, the blade nicking Dimitri on the shoulder.

He didn't even flinch, he just thrust his lance out once more. Byleth rolled under it, swinging her sword at his feet. He jumped, swinging his lance out before she could dodge. She gasped as the blade cut open a small wound on her arm. She grit her teeth, using all her strength to swing her sword at him.

Her blade swung, tearing through Dimitri's arm. Blood poured from the wound as he clutched at the stump of his arm. Byleth held her breath, a sorrowful look on her face as she dug her blade into Dimitri's heart.

Dimitri staggered backward, futilely attempting to thrust his blade toward Byleth. He grunted before falling to the ground.

"I'm sorry," Byleth whispered sadly. "I'm sorry..."

Dimitri didn't respond, he just clutched at his wound in silent acceptance and fury. Byleth turned away, not wanting to see his final moments. Dimitri deserved better than death, but here they were...

The infuriated cry of the Immaculate One resounded through the air, and Byleth turned away to face the new threat on the battlefield.

Rhea.