The Truth about War

"How are you alive?"

Claude was gazing at her, a shocked expression on his face. Byleth felt the ache in her chest slowly disappearing as he quickly enveloped her into a hug.

"I thought...I thought you were dead," Claude furrowed his brow in confusion and
relief. "Damn, Teach...I thought that the last words I ever said to you were...were..."

"No. No, it's okay," Byleth quickly reassured him, hugging him back tighter. Byleth could only describe his scent as one of nature...in a good way. It was refreshing..and intoxicating. "I...I understand why you said all that stuff."

"I thought about it every day..." Claude paused, the soft look on his face disappearing. His features grew guarded, and, after a moment of hesitation, he hastily pulled away from her. The ache grew in her chest once again... "...Why, Teach? Why did you choose this path?"

"I-I don't understand," Byleth frowned, biting her lip. "You don't even agree with the church, why aren't you siding with Edelgard?"

"Because things can be solved without all of this bloodshed!" Claude exclaimed, frustrated. He looked away, but only for a moment so that he could keep looking at his Teach. "Instead, you went and rashly joined Edelgard. Now things can only change with everyone's death...or did you not think of that?"

"I-"

"Rhea has secrets she's hiding! Do you think she's going to share them when she's trying to kill us?" Claude chastised her again before she could even get a word in. "We're missing the opportunity for all of this information...and for what? For a bloodbath?"

"Edelgard knows what she is doing," Byleth defended her house leader and her decision. "She can change the world, I know she can. There doesn't seem to be a way to rationalize with Rhea, Claude! She's crazy!"

"Isn't Edelgard just as bad?" Claude said grimly, making Byleth furrow her brow in confusion and surprise.

"What?"

"They're both willing to kill anyone who stands against them. Neither of them will listen to anyone opposing them. They also...both have a certain infatuation with you," Claude pointed out the similarities, a slight hint of irritation in his voice at the last part. "At least Rhea has answers. I know she would have told them if she felt there was someone trustworthy enough...that would have been you, Teach. Instead, we'll be left here in the dark," Claude's voice grew slightly angrier at this. "She'll never reveal anything like this. No, you're right. Any chance we had of being diplomatic is gone now that you've chosen Edelgard's side."

"I-I..." Byleth closed her eyes. "...Edelgard will build a world without crests. You realize Rhea is a monster, right? She is the Immaculate One, the one who is leading them all to destroy Fódlan!"

"...Really? Listen to yourself!" Claude frowned. "Where'd you learn this from? Edelgard? Why would Rhea be leading people against her own country? I have no idea why she can turn into...that creature. But you really think Edelgard knows anything more about it? You're just going to take her word for it without even trying to find out the truth?"

"...I'm not doing it just from Edelgard's knowledge. I'm doing it because I know what Rhea has done to me," Byleth replied sadly. "I can't stay alongside that monster.."

"...Then go," Claude's eyes bore into hers, any trace of warmth disappearing from his features. "Go and spread terror like Edelgard has already done."

"Claude, I'm not here to fight you," Byleth responded quietly. She didn't understand why he was so adamant against not working with them..."I want you to fight alongside us!"

"I'm not interested in working alongside a bloodthirsty warmonger," Claude shook his head sadly. "You really have no idea what you've missed...Get out, Teach."

"Wait," Byleth interrupted, a desperate look on her face. "Claude, no. This isn't what I wanted. I-"

"Get out, Teach!" Claude's voice grew more agonized at this, making Byleth's heart ache in utter depression. "Get out...before you try to hurt any of us."

"I won't-"

"You'll have to do it if you want to stand on Edelgard's side," Claude said hauntingly, his emerald eyes as guarded as they had first been when they had first met. "I'm her enemy. She wants to kill me..and you stand beside her. I'm your enemy. Things can't just go back to normal. That's not how war works."

"Claude, just listen!" Byleth interrupted him, taking him by the shoulders so that she could finally speak. "Edelgard has given me so much. She saved my father's life, and talked to me, and she's against Rhea. What other option could I take? I can't kill her!"

"...Yeah, I think I see that," Claude suddenly grew much more tense, and he removed her hands from him. "So leave already, then. Have blind faith in her. We'll never find out what we wanted to know about the church."

"Claude..."

He flashed her a small, sad smile.

"We could have been great together, Teach," He leapt down from the tree, landing gracefully on his feet. He hesitated before extending his hand out to help her down. Byleth took it, but as soon as she had touched the ground, he let go of her hand. The heavy ache spread further in her chest. "...Goodbye."

"No," Byleth whispered as he began to walk away. Instinctively, she began to follow him, when she felt a hand on her wrist. She turned around, flashing her Sword of the Creator at her attacker, but it was only her father. She relaxed, sheathing her sword.

"Where have you been?" Jeralt asked urgently, but Byleth just shook her head and sunk to her knees in despair. Claude had disappeared out of view, and she felt her chest explode in pain. "Kid..?"

"...I...I failed."